Making my HP1220C printer wireless?

antonioconte

Registered
is there a device I can but to make my HP1220C printer wireless?

I know I probably can buy some kind of Blutooth device?

but I am not sure on the range and speed?

I would prefer my wireless 834PN to pick it up really.

any ideas?

sounds interesting. sorry I am a bit of a newbie. can you explain, I need to purchase a wireless print server? which and how makes it? and the why will I need the ghostscript driver? tia

Wireless print servers are made by all the major router/network companies - linksys, D-link, netgear, etc. The Airport Express by Apple is also a wireless print server.

The driver made by HP, included in OS X, is for USB only. CUPS drivers like hpijs/ghostscript or Gimp-Print will print through any comm protocol available on OS X.

ok, this sounds ideal. but I currently have a DG834PN wireless adsl router. So I don't want to get rid of that. Will one of these devices simply tag onto it then and then a usb lead comes out of that into the hp printer? Then I take it I have to use the ghostscript then with this configuration?

or am I wrong?

so without the drivers you have pointed out, what would happen?

also, if something like a netgear WGPS606 is connected up to a HP1220C, and I currently have a Netgearr 834PN adsl wireless router, would I not have to change wireless connections everytime I wanted to print as I would be connected to my 834PN continously for web access / network access?

or would this just daisy chain?

When you try to Add the printer, no driver would be found - even though you Know it was there when you Added it via USB.

I'm not at a Mac right now - try adding a fake IP printer with address 192.168.10.5 and see if the HP 1220 is included in the Gimp-Print drivers already included in OS X. You'll notice the HP driver isn't shown.

I see.

Another thing now. I noticed that netgear say the WGPS606 is not compatible with the 1220C :-( well, its not listed anyway.

Unfortunately, the equipment manufacturers don't know we have third-party drivers available.

I recommend you do a google search for print server model and OS X and see if someone (maybe with my help) has already been successful using that print server with any non-postscript inkjet printer. If they have, it'll work for you, too.

Download the print server manual and make sure it can be set up using a web browser. Besides that, everything I read points to it will work as I have described.

oh right. but I guess it can just plug into my DG834 and then into the 1220C? adn that's still going to be wireless then really? What I am trying to establish is that if I get that wireless printer server, is it overkill as I already have a wireless adsl router with 4 ports on it?

I'm sorry if I'm not making it clear -
Yes, if you connect a printer via ethernet and set it up on a wireless computer, it will work and you will be printing wirelessly. OR, if you get a wireless print server, you can set it up "Any Place" without the ethernet wire limitation and that will work, too.

Back