Making my HP1220C printer wireless?

Yes.
There's a trick to Adding the printer in Printer Setup, so come back when you're ready to set it up.

The trick is really that most manuals give you minimum info, because they have an auto-setup wizard for Windows (but not for OS X). Read the manual carefully to decide which comm protocol to use and if you choose LPD or IPP, look for the print server's queue name (sometimes called port name), to enter in Printer Setup for Queue Name.

ok, I will need to purchase the ps121 soon then an get back to you.

DO you agree this is the best way for me to go? or just get that WGPS606?

I recommend you get the least expensive one you can find among the well-known brands Netgear, Linksys, D-link, etc. Don't buy from USRobotics, because they use a non-standard protocol.
I have helped several hundred people set up their printers this way, and in spite of the Windows-centric manuals, all the print servers worked.

You are lucky to have the HP 1220C, because it is supported by two open source CUPS drivers. Many people buy a print server only to find that their Lexmark isn't supported at all or their Canon is only supported with a purchased driver.

hi there again, A collegue of mine has given me a HP 300X jet direct print server to try. I have connected it to my Netgear 834PN wireless ADSL router. When I go into my PRINTER SETUP UTILITY, and try adding the printer, it won't show up with default Browser selected. If I select IP Printer, under LPD nothing shows, but when I type in its ip address it finds it, I select "Print Using" and select HP, a drop down gives me all the printers so I select 1220 in the list.

Ok, I can print, but it's very slow and seems to use loads of ink and very dark.

My printer is called by it's ip address of 192.168.0.10
I can not use the utility function
I can't even select the type of paper quality.

something is missing I think?

any ideas? as this is so close but not there. would be great to get this working as I might purchase it off them for a small fee.

The printer utility (checking ink level, etc) will only work with the HP driver. I don't want to get you going in too many directions at once, but since the 1220C is a higher-end model, I'm wondering if appletalk is supported in the HP driver? In Printer Setup, after clicking Add, click More Printers (for 10.4, for earlier OS X, not required) and see if there's "HP appletalk" available.

The easiest IP printing protocol to use with a Jetdirect is IP printer > HP Jetdirect.

Paper type is in the Copies & Pages pull-down menu - somewhere.

nothing in there for HP appletalk. Although I have just done a diagnostic test and it says on teh print out APPLETALK STATUS: READY

APPLETALK NAME: DESKJET 1220C
APPLETALK TYPE: Deskwriter

just checke in my system prefs, network, Apple Talk is active.

this is really odd, yes?

ok, I selected HP Jet Direct, entered the ip address chose "Using" HP Deskject 1220C - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2.

Again, no utility option and I can't select draft print or black and white still?

This is odd, so close but not there.

There won't be any utility access since you're not using the HP-provided driver.

Have you looked throuh all the options in the Copies & Pages menu? I see paper type in the Printer Features sub-menu.

This is as far as I can get you - I don't have that printer.

The options you are looking for are in the driver, not the print server, so a different print server won't help in any way.

Sorry I forgot that you wanted to choose Black & White - I think that option is in the Colorsync submenu. I don't see "draft quality."

If you want all the features of a particular printer And use of utilities, etc., then I agree you should buy a printer with wireless built in. When the networking hardware is built-in, manufaturers provide drivers that allow you to do all the same things as when connected by USB.

ok, I selected HP Jet Direct, entered the ip address chose "Using" HP Deskject 1220C - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2.

The release version of Gutenprint 5.0 (nee GIMP-print 5.0.0 ) has been available for several months now. Have you downloaded and installed it?

ok, I think after all this, I need to look for either a wireless A4 printer (edge to edge) and or ethernet maybe and plug it into my Netgear 834PN?

Anyone have any reccomendations? The quality should be at least as good as my HP 1220C

tia

Yes about the board less printing. I don't have either application. I use Photoshop Elements, Preview RapidWeaver, FileMaker Pro, etc.

so it literally prints right to the edge of all sides perfectly, like if you print a photo it perfect is it? sounds good if it is.

Also, can you print back to back? and what's the quality like?

The quality is great. Yes it can do duplex printing. The only thing I found is to use it wireless, you must first set it up via USB first before you can use it wirelessly.

Setting up via USB on one machine I guess?

Is the duplex printing good quality. As I was told that when printing both sides, it prints with less ink and you get an inferior quality?

Also, going back to edge to edge, have you tried printing a photo right to the edges? is it perfect? with no white borders?

And finally, are the drivers all there for OS X? do you have a utility app that works in wireless and usb mode?

thanks for your advise & Merry Christmas

Setting up via USB on one machine I guess?

Yep. Just follow the included directions for once.;)

Is the duplex printing good quality. As I was told that when printing both sides, it prints with less ink and you get an inferior quality?

For pictures I haven't tried to print duplex. However using regular paper the duplex was good enough for me.

Also, going back to edge to edge, have you tried printing a photo right to the edges? is it perfect? with no white borders?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Anymore questions? :)

And finally, are the drivers all there for OS X? do you have a utility app that works in wireless and usb mode?

Yes, there are Canon drivers for PPC and Intel. The driver can work both ways, via wireless and USB!

The Canon USB drivers are already installed in the default Tiger install.

thanks for your advise & Merry Christmas

You also have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Back