"Male Dominated" Society?

This thread gets now its second change, but is watched very closely. It has potential as a topic - but all of you: no excessive flaming, name-calling, trolling, please. I trust on you on moderating yourselves, please don't hurt the others, and respect the others opinions as much as you want your opinions to be respected :)

whip2.gif

From what I've seen on TV a male lion keeps his harem in check with his strength and teeth.

Yes, one by one, but as a social group I think the females can be considered dominant.

However, from a genetical point of view human males are become superfluous, and we all know which way superfluous things go in the flow of evolution ... In fact, since the invention in the mid '70 of certain genetical techniques, males are become superfluous to procreation. An all-female society would hence be technically possible and MANkind be reduced to pets. Through technological innovation we have in fact out-raced ourselves. The aberrant and crippled y-chromosome has corrected its own fault. Isn't it ironic?

Originally posted by Cat
However, from a genetical point of view human males are become superfluous, and we all know which way superfluous things go in the flow of evolution ... In fact, since the invention in the mid '70 of certain genetical techniques, males are become superfluous to procreation. An all-female society would hence be technically possible and MANkind be reduced to pets. Through technological innovation we have in fact out-raced ourselves. The aberrant and crippled y-chromosome has corrected its own fault. Isn't it ironic?
Yikes. Well, in fact the reverse is possible in the near future as well, not that I would ever want it to be, it's a dark idea, but it's possible to create an artificial womb to propigate and grow a fetus. A test tube baby that grows entirely in an artificial environment. Of course there will always be a need for eggs and sperm, even if vast ammounts could be frozen in liquid hydrogen and stored.

There's a dark science fiction story waiting to be written here...

I just want to point out that I wasn't trying to slander anyone before, then move on.

I can think of a couple fictional cases of procreation reduced to technological breeding. The first is Huxley's Brave New World, in which everyone (except those classified "Alpha") are bred in groups called Bokanovsky Groups, whereby a single fetus is divided multiple times until you come up with around a hundred clones of the same person.

The second comes from Asimov's Solaria, whereby the only living residents of the planet Solaria are male/female hybrids with very small testes and a very small vaginal opening. Once in their lifetimes these hybrids produce a fertilized egg, which is then bred in a facility, producing an exact clone.

Even today, we have the capabilities to alter our childrens' characteristics before they even become fetuses. This is unnatural and should be left to chance. Sure, your kid may have a hot temper or like burning things, but at least he's his own natural self and not some product of your imagination.

i loved the book Brave New World but i couldnt even imagine a society like in the story, although "the feelies" might be nice;)

Yeah, the descriptions of the promiscuos sexual activities kept getting me aroused. Rather annoying.

Very soon we'll be able to play God and order abilities, virtues, and traits in our children like you order a large fry at the McDonald's drive-thru. This technology is already available, just not implemented yet because peeps are afraid of it. But what this generation rejects then next will accept, and the next after that will embrace. I can't wait for the geneto-modo culture. Please see the movie Attica for reference of this future awaiting us.

with outlooks like the ones we're painting here, that huge reset button that looks like a rock should come hurdling into earth any time now.

Asteroid-induced mass extinctions(98% of all life wiped out) come something like once every 5 million years, so if you look at the fossil record we're about due for one. But don't worry, by the time a stadium-sized rock starts hurtling our way we'll have anti-meteor nuclear tipped missile defense networks orbiting this planet. So we're gonna need a bigger reset button. And of course you know it's impossible to reset our technological level in the world, since our records will remain long after we die, lying in wait for new caretakers to pick up where humanity left off.

There's another science fiction movie just waiting to be made...

The plot is, humanity is dead, wiped out completely off the face of the earth from a space-born disease, ummm, kinda like 12 monkeys except everyone really is dead, no underground survivors. After 30 or 40 million years, a new intelliegence evolves on Earth, this one's not mammal though, it's reptilian or amphibian, and they find remnants of mankinds culture, learn to dig up our artifacts and read the instruction books and rebuild our technology. Kinda like how we have rebuilt ancient greece in our architecture. Except the twist is, can they somehow not repeat the same mistakes we made - or some other cheesy moral like that.

i've read a few documents about how it is that every time an asteroid has gotten "close" to earth and we've detected it, it was after the thing had gone by.

i seriously doubt our ability to see said rock with enough time to think about it, much less have the power to stop it. i believe i read somewhere about the power it would take to "stop" and asteroid the size of the ones that have knocked out life previously, and the general concensus was, "no way in hell."

the rebuilding would be difficult to, as i would have to believe that over the period of a couple billion years all traces of our being except those few fossilized would be wiped out. you have to be pretty damned lucky to be fossilized. i think the asteroid is our best bet at not sticking around and killing ourselves.

Originally posted by cf25
i seriously doubt our ability to see said rock with enough time to think about it, much less have the power to stop it. i believe i read somewhere about the power it would take to "stop" and asteroid the size of the ones that have knocked out life previously, and the general concensus was, "no way in hell."
At least not with existing technology. But I imagine if we knew a year in advance, or even a few months, we might be able to pool all our resources(if we could stop killing each other for a moment) and come up with a good plan.

This reminds me of a Zeta Gundam movie where the meteor was careening towards earth at phenominal speed until all the robots got together, the good ones and the bad ones, and they all worked together by pushing the thing back out into space with the thrusters on their feet. Of course they didn't waste any time getting back to fighting each other on Earth after they were done cooperating for the good of all mankind...

Back