Maximum DDR3 RAM allowed in MacBookPro?

sgould

Registered
I'm confused.

I have a "Mid-2012" 13 inch MacBookPro 2.5 GHz dual Core i5.

The Tech Specs on the Apple support site say that the existing 4GB of RAM is "Configurable to 8 GB". However on sites that sell RAM, they are offering upgrades to 16GB (2 x 8GB).

While my iMac was being repaired, we used the MBP. We both reckoned that it was reacting very slowly, so I'm looking at a RAM increase.

Which do I go for?

Your MBPro is another Apple model with two max RAM listings. One that Apple provides, and another, larger figure supplied by various sites. Not every Mac has this variation, but many do. Very often, Apple's maximum is simply the most RAM that you could configure that model originally from Apple, and may not technically be the maximum.
I trust either Crucial, or OWC in this, and both list the maximum for your MBPro as 2 x 8GB for 16 GB.
But, there's also nothing wrong with staying with the comfortable maximum that Apple recommends, as 8GB will probably give you the boost that you are looking for (assuming that memory is the issue)

However, replacing the hard drive with an SSD will give you much more apparent performance than any change to your RAM.
Both is even better :D

Thanks! :)

I was thinking along the same lines that you set out. Do I still need to fit memory in matching pairs (2 x 4GB), or could I compromise and fit one 8GB for now?

Then I have to work out whether the SSD drive in the 2007 Black MacBook that I fitted 18 months ago can be swapped over....

Matched pairs are not required.
The only Mac that benefits from matched sets is the Mac Pro.

The SSD will easily swap to the newer MBPro. I can't tell you what software adjustment you would need to make, as that would depend on what is already on the SSD. If the older MacBook was running Leopard, then you would need to update the system. Best would be to clone from the hard drive directly to the SSD.

Thanks! I'll have a look and see, and a play!

The upgrade will be something for the autumn. I'm not starting playing just before I go on holiday. The laptop will be coming with us. We're off to Italy in 2 weeks time.

OK.. I lied!!

I found some Crucial memory and bought it. So I have just installed 2 x 4GB RAM and it's all working a lot snappier.

I ran into one scary moment. After installing, I got a blank screen and "three bongs" on start-up. I reinstalled the original but it was still the same. Searching the web suggested either a logic board failure (!) or badly seated RAM. I took it all apart and reseated everything and it is working OK.

I looked into swapping the old SSD over, but it's a bit too small to make it worth while.

Ran into the RAM problem once using OWC chips. Called, and they advised to rub an eraser over the contacts, remove residue, and reseat. That worked.

Back