Maybe Apple needs to think hard about the "QuickTime Movie Store"

malexgreen

Contributor and PB User
Read this article: http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5136275.html?tag=nefd_lede

Here's a quote from the article:
A new video format, RealVideo 10--which the company says improves the efficiency of past products by about 30 percent--was also part of Wednesday's release. Using the new format, service providers will be able to stream DVD-quality video on connections averaging about 1 megabit per second, or well within the high end of cable modem subscribers' bandwidth availabilities, the company said.

"We think the legal online distribution of movies is going to be a big business sooner than a lot of people think," said Real's senior vice president of marketing Dan Sheehan. "With today's bandwidth via broadband, that can be a reality."

malexgreen - I think you are right on - this will be the next step and movies have/will have all the same copyright/sharing issues that plague music - they are just bigger files. It would be nice to see history not repeat itself in all the mistakes made with MP3s and you would think Appple would jump on this. Then again, maybe they are too busy right now with picking colors for mini iPods. ;)

I suspect they are thinking hard about it, but the legal red-tape holding them back makes the iTunes Music Store look like a very easy and straight-forward project.

symphonix said:
I suspect they are thinking hard about it, but the legal red-tape holding them back makes the iTunes Music Store look like a very easy and straight-forward project.

You are right - I am sure it is really complicated. Still, Apple has the track record of being able to deliver music successfully (marketing, ease of use, great apps...) and I hope that record goes a long way if and when they decide to follow up a similar strategy for movies. There will of course be the cheap imitators, but that is just one more thing that makes being a Mac user fun! :)

Consider the source. Real lies with every breath they speak about pretty much anything. I wouldn't believe a word they say about the quality of their codec or any of their "marketing research" which I'm sure was conveniently spiked to look favorable to them. Their software is spyware and sucks in general.

FYI, there was a spot on NBC news on this very same topic tonight (1/14), but I had to run out and missed it. The story was a series on how the music business completely screwed up on selling downloadable files, but the movie business is approaching more carefully. The preceeding nights story on music covered iTunes and Apple pretty heavily.

Is it just me, or does the music industry seem like the "first adopter" type while the movie industry sits back, watches what works and what doesn't, and takes action accordingly? Just an interesting sidenote...

I reckon Its already in the works, i believe there must be somthing brewing in cupertino right now its just too apple to resist.

Jobs did make mention at some point that a movie store is currently not a viable option. People want instant gratification and downloading a 400-1000mb film would take ages. However, he did not rule out the fact that they are looking into it. He just doesn't see it as a very good business model.
I have to agree. If you really want to watch movies, use Netflix. That place is great. You get the DVD and enjoy. Send it back when you are done. Cheap, reliable, and you can watch it on your TV with full surround sound. Enjoy the movie at its best. Just my opinion.

diablojota said:
I have to agree. If you really want to watch movies, use Netflix. That place is great. You get the DVD and enjoy. Send it back when you are done. Cheap, reliable, and you can watch it on your TV with full surround sound. Enjoy the movie at its best. Just my opinion.

diablojota - you are very wise and caused me to rethink all of this! Seriously, I mean what happened to the value of a little delayed gratification? I love Netflix and get certian enjoyment of seeing what I got in the mail every day. Movie file size is a big issue for any type of iTunes approach and it seems like the "on demand" cable business is really a good model that may someday offer a Netflix like deal without the discs. My friend just got his on demand with Comcast and is raving about it. Sure, we are not to the point where you can find any old or obscure movie like you can at Netflix or the video store, but it will probably expand soon enough.

karavite said:
diablojota - you are very wise and caused me to rethink all of this! Seriously, I mean what happened to the value of a little delayed gratification? I love Netflix and get certian enjoyment of seeing what I got in the mail every day. Movie file size is a big issue for any type of iTunes approach and it seems like the "on demand" cable business is really a good model that may someday offer a Netflix like deal without the discs. My friend just got his on demand with Comcast and is raving about it. Sure, we are not to the point where you can find any old or obscure movie like you can at Netflix or the video store, but it will probably expand soon enough.

Why thank you karavite. :) I agree with you on the 'on demand' cable model (kinda pay-per-view type thing) just as long as they manage to keep it in-expensive. What would be great is to have a check out feature, where you can check-out a few movies (max 3, let's say) and only able to check out new ones after returning at least one movie. This way you get flexibility and have a Netflix-esque approach, but without having to wait for the media.

diablojota said:
Jobs did make mention at some point that a movie store is currently not a viable option. People want instant gratification and downloading a 400-1000mb film would take ages. However, he did not rule out the fact that they are looking into it. He just doesn't see it as a very good business model.

What if the business/distribution model for Apple Movie Store looked a little different than that of the iTunes Music Store?

All (reasonable) people will agree that bandwidths (to the home) are not what they need to be for movie downloads, and they are not likely to increase dramatically anytime soon. But...

What if you didn't need to download the movie (over your broadband connection anyway)?

What if you were able to take your iPod AV to some place that had an Apple Movie Store kiosk (the first place might be Apple Stores, of course), plug it in (along with your credit card of course) (with it's FireWire 800 port) and select the movie(s) you want. You might have two options, rent or buy (and might be able to change your mind later. The rent options works as you'd expect, perhaps something like Netflix, but nothing to send back, the movie just expires. The purchase options also works as you'd expect.

Then, of course, you plug your iPod AV into your TV of choice and play.

There are some kinks to be sure. But the storage (iPod), bandwidth (between the kiosk and the iPod though FireWire 800, and to the kiosk), and the overall logistics may make such a thing more feasible than previously thought.

Secondly, if Apple can swing an arrangement similar to what they have now, not making any money on the movies, but on the iPods...it becomes really interesting. Maybe rental movies become something like $2.99 or $1.99 and buying a DVD (equivalent) becomes something like $5.99 or $9.99. The movie studios still make the same amount (perhaps more) but without any cost of media or distribution.

You have to look at the whole picture to see what would motivate all of the players. Not sure that I have, but trying to.

Interesting thing is...Apple Movie Store Kiosks could become like ATMs...EVERYWHERE! Gas stations, malls, mini-marts, supermarkets. Suddenly, one less stop (Blockbuster or Hollywood Video) for my trip home Friday night.

Well considering Boeing invested a great deal of money to get digital motion pictures to movie theaters via satellite... I can see this area becoming a big business. We have a big screen, get a tivo/DVR type box to store the large files, then I would just watch them that way, just like me watching a DVD (widescreen format DVD's only for me).

And i was shocked to see how good the quality of Real's streaming video has become, i never installed a player/plug-in till this year, and since the last time i used it, i have to say it looks great.

So i doubt if Apple can solely grab this market, because there will be more than one way to get the movie into your home, and if they can send a file via satellite to a movie theater, I'm sure there could be a smaller version for the home, maybe encryption to allow play a certain number of times, or just that day or whatever.

Regardless, I will be purchasing me a projector, TechTV displayed a few under $3000 that looked great, and with the right audio system, you could be at the movies, without those things that make you wish you weren't at the movies.

But all this in doors crap is kinda bad, i miss the drive-in theaters. Those were the good days, but I'm sure someone will stream a movie onto a big screen for their entire community, so the drive-in is something i would like to see come back.

The kiosk idea is a good one. But needs to be implemented and adopted by places like Blockbuster, etc. I don't see this happening. And it would still take a little time to download the movie and wait for it. I like the idea, but I don't see it catching on, especially since it would require an iPod or other external HD. Perhaps if they would burn the movie direct to DVD, but this still takes a lot of time. Currently, if I want to rent a movie, I go around the corner, search through the titles (which is great getting to see them all layed out before me to see the covers) and pick one. Go to the front and pay. No waiting (except in line to pay), no hassle.

With the movies it will be even worse than with music ...each company has the right for the movie in _one_ country .. that's kind of one of the reasons they created the region codes for dvds. So if there was a movie store, it would have to work only US;; :-/

Giaguara said:
With the movies it will be even worse than with music ...each company has the right for the movie in _one_ country .. that's kind of one of the reasons they created the region codes for dvds. So if there was a movie store, it would have to work only US;; :-/

Giaguara you nailed it with that statement. Plus, the release of movies by Hollywood and others have been traditionally at drastically different times from country to country. Only recently have movies (and DVD titles) been release worldwide (via the time frame).

Back