MBP hangs due to animation issue?

allaire

Registered
Hello colleagues,

I'm having a quite strange issue that doesn't make any sense. When I'm trying to get any app from the dock the laptop hangs entirely. The only way to get it back to life is a reset. What irritates me the most, this is a brain new Mac Book Pro with updated Sierra OS (10.13.5). I never had any issues with my older MBP, let alone the necessity to restart for such stupid reasons twice or three times a day!
I'm using it for one week only and think about returning it back to apple. Very disappointed. Please see the image of the issue below (it hangs just in the middle of the moment when the app is half-restored from the dock). Is this an animation issue or GPU?
The original post is here.

Attachments

• 20180623_001758614_iOS.jpg
    20180623_001758614_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180622_215451941_iOS.jpg
    20180622_215451941_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Are these apps newly installed or transferred using migrate assistant?

Do you get freezes when you use a different user account? If you have just one user account, this would be a good opportunity to make a new user admin account, then log out of your present account, and log in to the new one, just as a test.

Your screen shot shows lockups using Google Chrome, but if you say that it happens randomly in any app, have you tried reinstalling macOS? A simple reinstall of the system can sometimes have a good result, particularly if all of your apps and docs have been migrated from an older system.

Have you tried booting to Diagnostics? (Restart, holding the D key) I would suggest that a good time to try the Diagnostics as soon as possible after you experience a freeze... Are any error codes reported from that test?

Are these apps newly installed or transferred using migrate assistant?
All the software is newly installed on the brain new MBP. Don't really understand what may go wrong. I decided not to use migration assistant thinking it would be better.

Do you get freezes when you use a different user account? If you have just one user account, this would be a good opportunity to make a new user admin account, then log out of your present account, and log in to the new one, just as a test.

Your screen shot shows lockups using Google Chrome, but if you say that it happens randomly in any app, have you tried reinstalling macOS? A simple reinstall of the system can sometimes have a good result, particularly if all of your apps and docs have been migrated from an older system.

Have you tried booting to Diagnostics? (Restart, holding the D key) I would suggest that a good time to try the Diagnostics as soon as possible after you experience a freeze... Are any error codes reported from that test?

I didn't try it with a different user account. Guest is blocked on my Mac. I'm not sure if reinstalling entire system would be a good idea. I'm afraid that gonna be a lot of efforts (and possibly for nothing). I never saw this issue on my older MBP or even reported by anyone else. Will try to use Diagnostics...

The guest account would not be helpful in this instance, anyway.
Reinstalling the macOS is simple, and does not affect your other software or documents that might be on your Mac. A normal reinstall just reinstalls the system files, and makes sure that those installed are in the correct locations, and not corrupted in some way. It's a pretty safe install of the system, and is a good, early step when you have possible system software problems.

Reinstalling the macOS is simple, and does not affect your other software or documents that might be on your Mac.
Hi DeltaMac, the question may sound dumb, but can you suggest how to perform such 'soft reinstall'? I never installed OSX myself.

The simplest method is to boot to the Recovery system on your Mac:
Restart, holding Command-R. You will boot to a menu screen with a list of choices. One is "Reinstall macOS"
Choose to continue with that choice. It will download the current system installer files, and automatically do the install, rebooting once or twice in the process. It might take 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the speed of your internet connection.
And, will finish back at your normal desktop.

I have installed the OS. Can't say it was for nothing... still hangs but this time it get's over it and keeps working. I figured this may be due to the Chrome because this is the only application I experience issues with (MS Outlook as well, but very rarely and it hangs only after Chrome). I tried maximizing/minimizing apps from/to the dock a hundred times (if not more) just to be sure. I was thinking this is due to the Chrome extensions, but I use the same set of extensions to my previous Mac.

You have narrowed the problem ! Chrome may need to be updated or one of the extensions is not playing nice. Turn off all of Chrome’s extensions, then give it a test run. If it runs smoothly, you have narrowed the problem even more.
Check for updates to those extensions, then one at a time, activate, then test. If the first one runs smoothly, try the second one, repeat.

Well, it seems it's a bug common to all the laptops of that model (MBP 15.4 SG/3.1GHZ/RP 560/1TB). I tried to exchange it, but the problem persisted. I reported a bug on the Apple's website here: https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=41707025 and ended-up returning my MBP to the Apple store with the full refund. I don't know if it can be resolved or if this is a hardware/software issue, but I don't want to wait. GPU crashes are pretty annoying, I can't work normally, so I think it was the right decision. Thanks for your support guys.

Back