Menu bar crashes!

cbl2001

Registered
Recently, I've found myself merrily working away, only to find the clock in the menubar seems to be running a little slow. On moving my mouse to the clock, I get the rainbow ball, and find that the clock crashed over an hour ago, I've missed an appointment, lecture, etc.etc... It also turns out all the other menu icons have crashed (Airport, bluetooth, etc.)

I know this isn't just my machine as I upgraded only yesterday!!...only to find the new machine's doing the same thing! Anybody know if this is a problem with 10.3.6 (as that's the only big change I can think I've applied to both my old and new machines)

Is anybody else suffering the same problems?!?

Chris
--
www.chrisblunt.com

Did you open Date & Time and make sure the "Set Date & Time automatically" is checked and a time server is set in the window? The beach-ball effect leads me to believe the time server is not being connected to.

cbl2001 said:
I didn't have the auto-time update checked. I've set it now to time.euro.apple.com. Is it best to leave this option checked?

Yes, because it makes sure your Mac clock stays as close as possible to real time. A Mac (or even a PC) could loose track of time sometimes if the processes on the machine interfere with the clock process (stealing cycles from it). Also, a weakened internal computer battery can lead to lost time too.

I had this problem after the 10.35 update....Strange thing is that I had the thingy checked and it was actually a firewall issue on our server stopping it from connecting to a time server on the outside. The only way i could get round it was to uncheck the auto time.........

Back