Menu Blinking

stv1701

Registered
Just gone over to OSX (Panther) from 9.2

Is there a way to turn of the menu blinking in the Finder like there was in OS 9 and before in the General Controls control panel?

Can you describe what you mean by this blinking? Have no idea what you are actually talking about? :(

And welcome to the forum! ;)

When you select, say About Finder from the Finder menu in the Finder the menu will blink a couple of times. In previous OS's eg. 9 backwards you were given the option in the General Control panel to turn this off or have it blink once, twice or three times.

I always found turning this off made the finder feel a little more responsive.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Hmmmm, guess I must be stupid. When I click on About Finder from the Finder menu, nothing is blinking. Ok, when I click on About Finder, the marked field blinks once which is some kind of quittance for my click. But I don't think this is what you are talking about, right?

Yeah that's exactly it. And you used to be able to turn this off in previous versions. It takes nearly a second for it to blink and the menu to disapear. A valuable second when you're busy ;)

0.3sec here. ;)
I admit, have no idea how to turn this off or accelerate. But seriously, is this really bothering you or just a costmetically thing?

Nah, it's not really bothering me - just wondered why you can't turn it off anymore. I'll live with it :)

Thanks for your time anyway!

Don't have this on either on my 10.3.1 machines. No blinking of anything.

stv1701,

I'm with you on this one. This has been there in every release of OSX and is indeed still there in 10.3.1 and beyond. Anyone who has used OSX for a long time isn't likely to notice it all that much but it is indeed there.

I've used OSX exclusively for 2 years now and have searched high and low for a way to change this paremeter. it seems pretty small but I too find that little menu item blink annoying.

Could be something wrong with your systems. I can't find any way of turning a feature like this on, and I don't get it. I can select About Finder, or About any app that's open, and no blinking.

Try running Disk Utility or fsck.

There's nothing at all wrong with my system. This is just one of those things thats always been there in every release of Mac OS since the beginning. It's just that in OS9 you used to be able to set the number of blinks when a menu item is selected from 0 to 3 and you don't have that option on OSX.

Every release of OSX has done this, on every piece of hardware I've used it on. It's a simple flashing of the text of the menu item that is selected just after you release the mouse button.

i have the same thing. and i understand exactly what you are talking about. i used to leave it turned to 0 blinks back in OS 9, and it made it seem a little faster.

Bob, they are talking about the quittance for the click which goes like a short flashing banner. When you move your mouse on an option, you will get a blue field around it. Clicking it will cause a short flashing of the banner.
To me it looks very normal, but if someone finds a way to make it faster... this would be very welcome over here too. Saving a second sounds good! ;)

I know what he's talking about, and there's no way to adjust the number of times it blinks in OS X like there was in OS 9.

What he's talking about is when you select a menu item from the menubar, like "About this Mac." Your blue (or green, or grey, etc.) highlight on the selection will blink when you let go of the mouse key, kind of like a visual indicator that the selection has been selected. In OS 9 under the General Controls control panel, you could choose either one blink, two blinks or three blinks, and choosing a lower number of blinks made the selection activate milliseconds quicker.

Well I'm glad it bothers a few other too. Thought I was alone for a time there ;)

As someone else mentioned. It makes many things that little bit quicker. I've love the look and feel of OSX but having just transfered from OS9 things feel a little unresponsive in OSX sometimes.

Looks like I'll have to ask Santa for a G5 ;)

I know what you mean by the blinking, but I don't have it on three different installs, 2 Panthers, one on a Desktop and one on a G4 PB and one Jag on the desktop. I've looked all through the preferences and don't see any option to turn on or off blinking.

Maybe it has something to do with Classic being on the same drive or partition os OS X. My OS 9 is on a different drive than any of my OS X installs, and I don't have OS 9 on my PB.

Possible it's being caused by a third party program or haxie?

bobw: then something's wrong with your installations. it's been blinking once since public beta of mac os x. :) ... and it's quite certainly still there in panther. unless tinker tool or something can disable it?

Heh... I had the same concerns coming from OS 9 myself, but I switched to Mac OS X 10.0 from OS 9, and boy was I disappointed with the speed... at first.

I soon discovered how to REALLY multitask with OS X -- OS 9's multitasking is a joke compared to OS X, and that alone increased my productivity ten-fold. Sure, menus and what-not were slower, but they've progressively gotten faster with each new release of OS X, and I'm happy to pay $130 a year to have the latest and greatest.

Give OS X a whirl -- do several things at once. Open five programs at the same time. Switch to Safari and surf the web while iMovie/Final Cut is rendering. The time saved being able to do multiple things at once without noticeable slowdown is amazing. I think you'll find that alone makes up for the menus and winows being slower than OS 9. It's a different way to compute altogether -- OS X isn't an extension of OS 9, it's brand-new and takes a while to get used to, but I think you'll soon be finding yourself wondering how you ever got by with OS 9 alone.

Good luck, and happy computing!

Back