Messaging from a new iMac!

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Hey everyone -- just messaging from MacWorld on one of these awesome new iMacs. :)

Going to meet Ed in about 5 minutes.

P.S. These things really rock.

Hello!

I am going to be teaching a class on learning the Macintosh. Would you recommend these new iMacs as ones that I should get for my students? I will need 11 of them one for each of my students and one for their teacher (me). Just need to figure out where I am going to put all those computers in between class weeks :D

Have a great day!

Albert

Hello!

What do you think is not so great about them? I am struggling between purchasing these or purchasing iBooks or Titaniums. One more thing, money does not really matter. The organization I represent is seeking grants :D the only think I want is power and small amounts of space.

Have a great day!

Albert

The new iMacs would be a great solution for you. I went to Macworld and the new iMacs are just great. Money well spent considering the options they come with.

Originally posted by martinatkinson
Hello!

What do you think is not so great about them? I am struggling between purchasing these or purchasing iBooks or Titaniums. One more thing, money does not really matter. The organization I represent is seeking grants :D the only think I want is power and small amounts of space.

Have a great day!

Albert

Don't listen to him. They are awesome, and definately worth the money.

Originally posted by ManicDVLN
I went to the macshow too, tested them, they're not worth the price, thanx..

Okay, so you either drove or flew all the way from Canada to San Fran to see the iMacs only to dismiss them as junk and you made all these slam posts all the while?

I can smell FUD from a mile away. Don't think you're fooling me. When you actually get behind the keyboard of a new iMac, feel free to diss me from behind that keyboard.

Hmm...do I sense Mac Envy here? It's not too late to sell your PC on Ebay and get a new iMac with a Superdrive. Also make sure to get the essentials: Office to ensure compatibility with Word and Virtual PC to make it look like you're writing these disses on a PC.

You keep posting here...so there's hope for you yet. Maybe you don't have the $$$ to get a G4 iMac yet. Start saving you're money man. Soon enough, you're going to want one.

Don't believe me? Ask Frgmstr.

OK, looks like my mind is made up. I will soon get 11 2002 iMac's, 1 iBook and 1 Titanium. I can not wait. Just need the IRS to get us approved as a non-profit :rolleyes: then I will need to send in the grant forms. Hopefully I will be able to start teaching by next year. Anything else anyone suggests for equipment for a "learning the basics of macintosh" and "web design made easy" classes would be appreciated. I am doing my part in recruiting new mac users since most of my students will be from pc backgrounds :)

Have a great day!

Albert

Manic, this is where you could show your intellectual side, but of course you go and act like a shithead... the initial post may not have had any meaning (although simX, congratulations on using one!) but a post brought up by martinatkinson was legitimate and he would have greatly valued a real opinion.

for the "web design made easy" class, you may want to try Fireworks and Dreamweaver from Macromedia... they are highly advanced, yet, have the correct tools to make it easy, especially flash integration without even needing the flash program! since i'm not yet a total mac user, I don't know of any other web authoring programs and i'm not sure if they are OS X compatible but I will find out soon enough.

manic, unless me and you are on the same page, you are a real pain in the ass... all we ask for are legitimate posts on things related to the mac platform and you can't even do that...

martinatkinson:

Just a note if you plan on getting the new iMacs. They have only been announced -- they are not shipping. If you plan to get the high-end one ($1799 versions), they ship by the end of January. To get the middle ones, you'll have to wait 'til the end of February. To get the low-end ones, you're gonna have to wait 'til the end of March.

So don't order them if time is an issue.

Martin,

Whatever you do, at least avoid any and all input from Manic as it is purposefully negative, derisive and trolly. Educate yourself, as you are, and you'll make a good decision.

As for my own personal opinion, I love the little buggers. In a classroom setting, they'd be very cool. And more importantly, they'd be very useful.

On specs alone it matches or beats all but the very high end G4 towers. And at a very reasonable price, with a nice LCD monitor! It's a no-brainer.

Good luck.

-mb

blingbling, watch your language. you don't need to sink to the level of his post. you do a great job of communicating without going there. stay cooool my friend.

albert - i just wonder if you might want to consider some sort of other peripheral readers/writers like zip or floppy or both. you would really only need a couple of each. then they would be able to take their work home with them to share possibly. and since they are coming from pc's, compatible format might help. you could just burn cd's but there are more ecological and cross platform issues involved.

btw - met simx as planned. i got a little confused about which side of apple booth was which, but it worked out. i had a great time and took pics which i hope to have shared by tomorrow. simx and i walked around and talked for about an hour. we went to omniweb booth together and learned some stuff. i will expand on that when i post pics.:)

Hello!

Thank you all for your imput here are some replies:

BlingBling: I looked at the ones you mentioned in your post and I decided on not getting them. I will probably go with GoLive 6 (already released) or Photoshop 7 (to be released "second quarter"?) and maybe LiveMotion.

simX: Thank you for pointing this out to me. I looked on the Apple Store online and yes, as you say, they will not ship till later. Well, found out that may not be a problem. The IRS could take up to 6 more months to approve us as an official "non profit" and then it could take another 6 months to prepare, send in and get the $30,000 in grants. Looks like we have plenty of time :)

Ed Spruiell: Good idea. One problem. We will be using the latest versions of some pretty expensive software. These kids will (probably) not have this at home so even if I do send homework with them how will they finish it? Let me know what you think.

Sorry if I left anyone out. Thank you all for your replies and have a wonderful day!

Albert

I still don't get it why he is not banned. There is a difference between saying something against Mac - which is ok, we live in a free world - and this. Member who don't know him could easily mistaken his words as the ones of a truely experienced man who really went to the expo. So, the other members of the forum always have to point out (in three threads now) not to listen to him. I can't understand why the Admin doesn't do anything against this.

albert- first, i wasn't so much thinking about home work as about being able to share or examine it in any platform. i guess one of the biggest things that most pc users still don't understand is that macs can read and write their platform. kids who never got a chance to do this with a mac would go away thinking that the work they did was stuck on a mac. that's why i suggest just a few. learning to hotswap the same device from machine to machine might also be a learning experience. if you burned with toast you could put their work on cross platform cd's. i'm not sure that disc burner does this. someone who uses it would have to answer that.

but to address your concern about latest versions. i would think all these would be able to save and read older versions of themselves, probably even other popular competitors' formats to a lesser degree. This would be worth checking into.
not exactly the same arena, but i used to dazzle pc users by downloading an excell or similar file, taking it home & doing the work, and then bring them back a file that they could run and do more work on if neccesary.

Originally posted by ulrik
I still don't get it why he is not banned. There is a difference between saying something against Mac - which is ok, we live in a free world - and this.

I can't understand why the Admin doesn't do anything against this.

Amen. I agree. But sometimes it can be fun to read Manics posts but he should be able to post only in a special Manic forum. He is a PC user that never will see the light. I meen not every one can be saved from the evil empire.

Good idea! Now that I understand you more I get what you mean. Do you have a preference as to what brand/model of floppy drive I should get? I have a MacAddict issue which talks about different floppy readers for portables. Maybe I should look there. And, since the iMacs we will be getting come with CD-RW drives I could hook them up with a CD if they want it.

Lets see, any work they do in Photoshop they could view in IE for the PC and same with GoLive since it is HTML. I know, I should get Virtual PC 5 w/ XP so that the kids can see how well the mac is cross-platform savvy.

Well, they will be designing a web site for their town in class and will be entered in a national drawing called My Town to win an iMac. It would be cool if one of my students won!

Have a great day!

Albert

THE DEVILLLLLLL , DEVIL I SAY!!!

PUNISH THE EVIL DOERS! AHHAHAHAHA (Stupid Bush)

EVIL EMPIRE! I LOVE EVIL, ONLY SMART PPL ARE EVIL!

WHY?

BECAUSE GOOD IS DUMB, IF YOU LOOK AT NATURE, BEING GOOD WILL GET YOU KILLED OR EATEN.

YOU NEED TO BE EVIL TO SURVIVE!

EVIL RULES!

UNCLE SATAN WANTS YOU!

Usually to be evil, you need to take on a deceptive appearance of being good.

I think Apples marketing gimmick shows this perfectly, THINK DIFFERENT! mUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

(fire flaming in the background)

Back