Metamorph X MAJOR PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

jozo

Registered
There's this them called Xeno Genisis that stays on. I can't switch back to aqua and my docks gone haywire. My login screen looks like a cave and I want AQUA back NOW! Who can help me?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Have you tried downloading Duality (go to www.versiontracker.com) and using it to restore Aqua?

When I get back to my regular comp, I can post an "Aqua Restore" installer, which actually installs the files to revert your interface to aqua. That would probably be tomorrow or the next day, though – nothing can do immediately.

I've tried Duality and it changes back the menu bar and windows. But the Dock, Startup Screen and Login window are so awful I can barely use the computer.

Any help???

There is an app called aquarestore or restoreaqua on versiontracker. That's all it does. You might give that a shot...

Failing that, you could try using a different theme that might replace your dreadful dock etc. with something, not necessarily aqua, but at least usable.

I've tried AquaRestore. That still didn't restore the login cave and the dock.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

I feel like throwing the computer out of the window!

Help!:mad:

That's what happens when you mess with Aqua. It's NOT meant to be replaced...especially with shoddy third party hacks. You get what you deserve.

Originally posted by jaredbkt
That's what happens when you mess with Aqua. It's NOT meant to be replaced...especially with shoddy third party hacks. You get what you deserve.

Actually, Metamorph X and Duality claim to restore aqua, so it's not his fault, it's the software's fault.

Here, I remember where I found the Aqua Restore installer. Just go to www.swizcoremedia.com, a site maintained by the MacOSX.com user "swizcore". Just click on the "OSX" link, and then the "Themes" link, and download one of them.

I've provided links to the themes here, for courtesy:

swizcore's NeXT theme

swizcore's BeOS theme

swizcore's Orange SimpleX theme

swizcore's Silver SimpleX theme

I would actually suggest trying out these themes -- they are very comprehensive and very good themes.

The reason I mention these themes, though, is because they include an "Aqua Restore" installer. They contain all of the theme resources, including the login window, I believe, and should be able to replace any shoddy restore attempts by any other software. Just download any one of the themes, and it should include a "Aqua Restore" installer. Just run it, and then restart, and you should be back to normal!

I hope that helps, but don't thank me – thank swizcore.

Originally posted by jaredbkt

Er, well. Hu hem! Why don't you keep your snidy coments to your self?

SimX thanx for all ur help!

If it gets really desperate - this should fix it good, but could take a long time:

Figure out what files were changed that are causing the problem. In the theme packs (in /Library/Themes I think), there should be a .plist XML file that describes all the changes, so you could track down the troublesome files that way.

Pop in the OS X install CD, and use Pacifist on the installer packages, so you can selectively install the individual files you need. This is the bit that could take a long time - those are big packages...

My goodness, Pacifist is great - I don't run any package installers anymore. I'm sick of Apple updates and installers crushing my files. Actually Pacifist would not even have been necessary if Apple had just written a decent installer package format in the first place. Grrmmml grummmphll stupid arrogant mrrmml Steve Jobs mumble whippersnapper mumphle there goes the neighbourhood flimml grump.

Right okay every1. I've changed the theme to simpleX and the login window is fixed but still there is a xenogenesis background. the dock is the same mess it always, but thankfully the unsavoury icons are gone too.;)
i would appreaciate your help a screenshot is attached of the screen...

~ Joe

Right okay every1. I've changed the theme to simpleX and the login window is fixed but still there is a xenogenesis background. the dock is the same mess it always, but thankfully the unsavoury icons are gone too.;)
i would appreciate your help!

~ Joe

P.S How do you add a screenshot?

Weird, it didn't restore the mess?

The background should be a simple fix. Just go to the System Preferences, click on the "Desktop" pane, and then just choose the background picture you want (or drag another picture into the well to use that).

As for the Dock, I don't know how it would be "a mess".

To add a screenshot, you need to have it one of the following formats: GIF, JPEG, PNG, or BMP. In addition, it must have one of the following extensions: .gif, .jpg, .png, .bmp, or .jpeg. The screenshot must also be under 100K.

Once the format is correct just click the "Browse..." button under the "Attach file:" area when you reply to a post. Find your file, and select it. Then the dialog should close, and you should see the name of the file in the field next to the "Browse..." button. Then just submit your post.

No no, I mean the background behind the login window looks like lat.

The dock is opaque and brown.

When I do a screen shot it refuses to save as anything but a tiff file.

HELP!

Oh, hrm.

Well, to change the screenshot format, go to www.versiontracker.com and download a piece of software called "TinkerTool". Once you install it, you should be able to change the format the screenshot is taken in. You could always use something like GraphicConverter to convert the file, though.

Also, would you mind not using my avatar? I have copyrights on it and I could sue you!!! ;) No, just kidding, but you should really make your own avatar. (If my browser is screwing up, I apologize.)

Hehe... I noticed that odd "avatar-cloning-behavior" too... made it difficult to glance at the left side and see who was simX and who was jozo without reading the names... ;)

And here I thought it was just me...

I'm at work, and Opera for Windows has indigestion. Uh, that is, it barfs cookies. :D So frequently it won't load avatars for people that I know still have avatars. I have to re-login about once every two hours. The worst is when I compose a long post, the have to re-login after pressing submit. Grr....

Anyway, I thought Opera was making simX's avatar disappear and re-appear on jozo's posts...

sorry!

I've changed my username. how do you get a 'status'?

Anyways, at the moment I have Mac OS XP but when I switch back to aqua the login cave etc is back.

Does anyone know where to get backup aqua files????

Because Xeno Genesis has nastily replaced all of the aqa files with theirs.

C Ya

~Joe

Back