Metamorph X MAJOR PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

how'd you get that??
Try the f.a.q.

I didn't have a spot to put a custom status until some time after I had 100 posts. I don't know if there is any correlation, but that is what I experienced.

joeth: It'd be really helpful if I had a screenshot of your dock and/or your login screen. Do you think you could also login quickly as jozo and take off the avatar?

Okay! I'm back again. My dock is opaque and blue. OKAY? With a white litte border. Every single aspect of the aqua interface is back. Just the dock.......

Help.... I'm nearly there

Here ya go. This should set your Dock back to normal, and you'll be good to go! (You still never provided a screenshot, though – I'd like to see this ugly Dock.)

0) Download this zip file from my iDisk. Unzip it.

Now, you'll first need to delete your existing Dock. The best way to do this is via the Terminal, or by logging in as root user. Since via the Terminal is probably easier, I'll go into detail here. Note that I'll use a more safer way.

1) Go into the terminal, and type in this command:

sudo chown username /System/Library/CoreServices

Note that you should replace username with your user name that you use to log in (the short one).

You will also be prompted for your user password. Don't worry, there's no destructive things happening with this command – it's just changing the owner of the folder so you can have changes in the Finder.

2) Now that the folder is owned by you, you can use the Finder to replace the Dock. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices in the Finder, and delete "Dock.app" (it will probably only appear as "Dock"). You won't be able to empty the trash, since your existing Dock will probably be open. Don't worry about that.

3) Copy the Dock application included in this zip package to the /System/Library/CoreServices folder by using the Finder.

4) Go back to the Terminal. Type this command:

sudo chown root /System/Library/CoreServices

Note that you may not be prompted for your user password – you have root privs in the Terminal for 5 minutes from your first "sudo" command.

5) You will need to make sure the permissions and owner of the Dock application are correct. To ensure this, execute these two commands in the Terminal.

sudo chmod 755 /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app

sudo chown root /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app

6) Logout of your current user.

7) Log back in with your user. Hopefully the Dock will automatically start up all restored to its original parameters. If it doesn't there may be additional privilege problems, but it should work. All your Dock items should be retained as well. :)

8) Delete the Dock.app application residing in your Trash. It should no longer be in use and you should be able to delete it without any problems.

I hope this helps.

Simx thanks but when I tried to delete it it wouldn't even go to the trash but it only said "It cannot be delteted coz it's open".

So now what do I do?

To solve this problem. Go into the Terminal and type top -l1 | grep -i Dock.

There should be a number at the far left. Now, in the Terminal, type sudo kill number, where number is the number in the left column that corresponds to the entry with the name "Dock".

That will quit the Dock. You should then be able to move it to the Dock.

UPDATE: I take that back. That won't help – the Dock simply reopens.

IMPORTANT NOTE: THE FOLLOWING COULD RENDER YOU DOCKLESS IF YOU DO IT WRONG AND/OR DO NOT FOLLOW THE STEPS OUTLINED IN THE PREVIOUS POST TO RESTORE THE DOCK.

I guess the only other solution is to delete it while it's in use. To do this, navigate to the /System/Library/CoreServices folder. Now in the Terminal, type sudo rm -R with a space at the end. Now, drag the Dock application from the Finder onto the Terminal window. The path to the Dock application should automatically appear. Now just press return, type in your password, and press return. Note that the Dock will still appear to be running (because the program is cached in memory) even though you deleted it.

Now you can finish the above procedure to install the new Dock application.

Thank you so much SimX! Now just one more question.

I've had the horrid dock so long now, is the dock meant to be completely translucent with a little white border???

Or can you upload a pic of yours so I can compare.

Newayz thanks again!!

Joe:D

joeth: Remember, I gave you a copy of MY Dock application, so it's going to be exactly the same.

Regardless, here's a screenshot of my Dock. Note that the color it takes depends on the Desktop picture you have, since it's translucent. But yes, it does have that white border.

Attachments

• finderscreensnapz001.jpg
    finderscreensnapz001.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 3
Back