microphone won\'t record.

thequeenla

Registered
hi,

im using a program called "learn spanish before you know it" and i can't seem to get the microphone to record my voice where as i can check the pronounciation of my speech. i have checked all of the sound properties on my power PC g4. im using os 10.40.3. i have also checked the sound and recording properties of the application as well and am not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

thanks for your help.

paulette ;-)

im using a plantronics headset/mic. its got 2 stereo plugs that i plug into my laptop. i have an simular altec lansing headset at work.

I have the same Headset/Mic, but USB. Does yours have the USB cable or just 2 stereo plugs? If you plug in the USB cable, OS X will see it. Go into your System Preferences/Sound and set the Plantronics Headset for your Input. Hope this helps.

thequeenla said:
hi,

im using a program called "learn spanish before you know it" and i can't seem to get the microphone to record my voice where as i can check the pronounciation of my speech. i have checked all of the sound properties on my power PC g4. im using os 10.40.3. i have also checked the sound and recording properties of the application as well and am not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

thanks for your help.

paulette ;-)

Tiger did make some changes to the audio framework. Are you sure the application is supposed to work under Tiger? Will your headset work with iChat AV? If the headset works with other apps, you might want to check the date of release on the Spanish app...

Also I have repeated this, actually shouted this on this board. Modern Mac DO NOT HAVE MICROPHONE PORTS! An un-powered microphone will NOT work. The port on a Mac is an audio-in port. The port itself does not give power on it to keep the sound clean. This is done for professionals so they could have clean sound input. If you recording off a vinyl player to the audio-in port vs. a microphone port you will see what I am talking about.

If you want to use non-powered microphones on a Mac, you will need a device like an iMic.

thanks to you all. i have been able to get the sound working and it appears to be a problem with the software vendor. im working with them to correct it.

thanks again, & happy holidays

paulette :)

Back