Microsoft Access

lujhu

Registered
Is the switch to Intel going to make more software available for the mac? I've never had a problem finding suitable programs, but now I am going to need Microsoft Access and am disapointed that it isn't available. Is it possible that programs like this will become available?

m

Not likely -- the same applications available for Mac OS X now will be available in the future.

When programming for the Macintosh, you mostly use APIs that are native to the operating system and independent of the processor architecture. That means that many peograms will only have to be changed ever so slightly to run on the Intel version of Mac OS X, which means that the operating system itself really isn't that much different.

Short answer: it's not going to make programming or porting to the Macintosh any easier, and applications that are Windows-only now will not suddenly become Macintosh-compatible, nor does it mean that Macintosh-compatible versions will be considered.

To the end user, the switch will be pretty transparent.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Short answer: it's not going to make programming or porting to the Macintosh any easier, and applications that are Windows-only now will not suddenly become Macintosh-compatible, nor does it mean that Macintosh-compatible versions will be considered.

Although I agree in that this is true in general, it's not entirely true. For instance the folks at Adobe rejoice as they no longer need to write processor specific code, like specific routines for Altivec. All applications that currently have to rely on Altivec in their Mac versions will benefit from the transition, as those rewrites are no longer necessary. This includes almost all image manipulation applications at present.

Most developers don't write processor specific code, but those that do will definitely find it easier to develop cross platform applications. Especially those who use assembler code.

Unfortunatley, this does not include most game developers, as they rely heavily on DirectX on Windows and Altivec in Mac OS for 3D. DirectX will not be present in Mac OS X on x86, so don't expect a flood of ported PC games...

Either way. "Now" is not the time for intel Macs, and the software arena certainly won't change that much _before_ Apple releases the first intel Mac in June 2006.

Back