Microsoft Doesn't Care about Apple...

Ok, just to clarify myself before things get messy: I prefer customisation at the time I buy a Desktop; rather than buy one that may not be exactly what I wanted... of course this is presuming that I can expand it either way.

If you check places like Sonnet and others, they offer processor upgrades for the PowerPC Macs prior to the new Intel Macs Apple offers.

As to whether you would by something from Dell or HP or whoever, that's not the case. The case is that neither of them offer anything substanially configurable over Apple.

If you build the system yourself, then you would know what CPU the motherboard takes. If a brand name company makes the computer, unless you open up the case and know where to look, then you're going to have a difficult time finding out who makes the motherboard (if it's an OEM motherboard) let alone trying to find out what CPUs it takes. We're not talking about retail motherboards here so it's not as easy.

As for Apple's configurations, I don't know what exactly you're referring to about the configurability of the build-to-order Mac Pro, but it's not unlike what I've seen on Dell's site for build-to-order.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6274000/wo/Ty4TgMaAZFVx2KXU0d01CjuAJn6/2.?p=0

You have to compare apples to apples (so to speak), and comparing a DIY PC to what's available as a build-to-order option from a computer hardware manufacturer is not a fair comparison. Even the Dells, HPs, et al would seem less configurable than a self-built PC.

BTW, according to AnandTech, it is possible to swap out the CPUs with something else like the upcoming Cloverton CPUs (the Core 2 Duo Xeon). Just drop 'em in and you're off.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6

Ok, just to clarify myself before things get messy: I prefer customisation at the time I buy a Desktop; rather than buy one that may not be exactly what I wanted... of course this is presuming that I can expand it either way.

That's understandable, but again you have to compare apples to apples. Nothing (PC or Mac) will be as configurable or expandable as a PC that you build yourself.

Ok, it is not that I don't agree about Apple being having more configurable computers than Dell... the thing is, I don't care about Dell/HP/whatever when it comes to desktops...

Ok it would be unfair to compare it to DYI computer, but I didn't said that I want it to be just like DYI computers, because that would make Apple a computer parts manufacturer... what I am saying is if the Mac Pro can be just a tiny bit more configurable than it is now, then I'll want to get one... I mean, it is not that I want Apple to have the hard drive of my choice already built in, but just come without one, it would require less work right?

Ok, it is not that I don't agree about Apple being having more configurable computers than Dell... the thing is, I don't care about Dell/HP/whatever when it comes to desktops...

Ok it would be unfair to compare it to DYI computer, but I didn't said that I want it to be just like DYI computers, because that would make Apple a computer parts manufacturer... what I am saying is if the Mac Pro can be just a tiny bit more configurable than it is now, then I'll want to get one... I mean, it is not that I want Apple to have the hard drive of my choice already built in, but just come without one, it would require less work right?

I think I understand now what you're asking from Apple: a possible barebones model. I dno't think this will happen anytime soon, and this even includes the major PC manufacturers. Usually the ones that do barebones systems are doing so with retail parts sold as OEM (since they're already installed in the case, like the mobo and possibly the CPU of choice). So you don't get the box for the motherboard and CPU and whatnot.

However, you can purchase other components from elsewhere, like RAM and hard drives. EVeryone recommends that if you're goingto purchase memory for your Mac, that you shoildn't get it from Apple (or the computer mnufacturer for that matter) since they sell RAM at a premium compared to places like NewEgg and others online computer shops. It's just a matter of making sure that said memory will run stable on that Mac since OS X is very picky about RAM timings and whatnot (Crucial's website has a RAM configurator in order to get the right RAM for your Mac. Ramseeker also has this).

But hey, people thought that Apple would stick to PPC for years, when they have been developing OSX for Intel for 3/4/5? years? So we'll have some hopes that they would do a barebone-like computer!

But hey, people thought that Apple would stick to PPC for years, when they have been developing OSX for Intel for 3/4/5? years? So we'll have some hopes that they would do a barebone-like computer!

But you have to also remember the intended market for Apple. They're not going to make a possible configuration for a small margin of users that are geeky enough to want a machine without a hard drive or other component that would otherwise be necessary for the normal user. The same goes with Dell and other Tier-1 PC manufacturers. It doesn't make monetary sense for them. The Intel switch did make sense especially since Intel could yield mass amounts of chips for Apple as opposed to someone without the money that Intel has, such as IBM or Motorola, for chip production. Also, they were able to do what neither IBM or Motorola couldn't, and that was produce faster-performing CPUs for Apple that would also run cool and could compete with the PC counterparts.

I believe the sales people at retail stores sell or push whatever makes them the most money. PCs, generally, have a lower price point and therefore a higher profit margin for a salesperson making 10% + Hourly. It's pure economics, not just apple bashing.

I think this is the very reason why apple's headed in the intel direction with its computers, and acquiring exlusive component deals for their ipods. Hopefully prices will become more and more competitive.

I did see this in action during Jobs' keynote a couple days ago when he specifically mentioned the price drop on some of the new ipods.

But you have to also remember the intended market for Apple. They're not going to make a possible configuration for a small margin of users that are geeky enough to want a machine without a hard drive or other component that would otherwise be necessary for the normal user. The same goes with Dell and other Tier-1 PC manufacturers. It doesn't make monetary sense for them. The Intel switch did make sense especially since Intel could yield mass amounts of chips for Apple as opposed to someone without the money that Intel has, such as IBM or Motorola, for chip production. Also, they were able to do what neither IBM or Motorola couldn't, and that was produce faster-performing CPUs for Apple that would also run cool and could compete with the PC counterparts.
True... but I don't see why they can't just let you choose to get a Mac Pro with no hard drive only if you want so. The normal user could just go with default or iMac... and also, isn't the Mac Pro designed for "high-end" customers?

Apple sells working systems. Have you seen any other computer manufacturer (i.e Dell, HP, etc) who sell computers without hard drives?

True... but I don't see why they can't just let you choose to get a Mac Pro with no hard drive only if you want so. The normal user could just go with default or iMac... and also, isn't the Mac Pro designed for "high-end" customers?

"High-end" customer doesn't necessarily mean "tinkerer". There are a lot of high end customers that require workstation-class computers but don't require the option to exclude things. This is because they don't have the time to tinker or it's not their job/interest. Ther market for computer tinkerers already exists, and I think that the PC parts makers have done a good job of that. Remember that you don't necessarily HAVE to run Windows.....I run Linux on the majority of my PCs, and I'm planning on giving the BSDs a run as well. But then again, I'm a tinkerer....still, I don't expect Apple to do that just for a small demographic of people like myself. The majority of people want things to "just work", andthe Mac does just that. So in reality, there's no need to offer the ability to "not offer" something. Also remember that most people don't have a slew of computers or computer parts to play with....just the tinkerers. So it still makes no sense for Apple (and other Tier-1 PC companies) to offer that option.

I've been using the Beta and just purchased the full version of Parallel's software for dual usage (notice, not dual boot) of my mini.

Runs like a charm, even with 512MB ram. Windows XP SP2 and Mac OSX Tiger.

Just have to Alt-Tab between the two programs, or resize the XP window to work in Mac.

Love it. Can do all the stuff I know in Mac and then Tab to XP to do stuff I"m not sure of yet.

Yes, can't do 3D games, but that's not why I got this little guy for.

Oh, also have Office 2004 on it, no noticible drag time due to low ram.

When you pay for parallels, you pay for convenience. With Bootcamp, you need to restart your machine each time you want to go from Windows to OS X and vice versa. Not exactly convenient, and it doesn't allow you to work with OS X and Windows applications at the same time.

Doesn't mean bootcamp is bad, just that there are things that would require Parallels.

Back