Microsoft Intellimouse Drivers for OSX?

ElDiabloConCaca

U.S.D.A. Prime
Somewhere, sometime, someplace... long ago... maybe a few months ago... I caught a smidgeon of an announcement about Microsoft's support of the Intellimouse Optical mice in OS X. The announcement went something to the effect of, "Drivers for the Intellimouse/Explorer/Optical mice in OS X will be released at the beginning of next week."

Well, I'm tired of waiting. It's been months, and only two buttons and my scroll wheel work (well, kinda) in OS X. Does anyone know the status of the driver situation for these mice in OS X?

Yup -- I've had those since I bought my G4/400 PCI... I could have SWORN there was an announcement some time ago regarding OS X drivers for Intellipoint mice, but I've heard nothing since then...

Howabout an OS X native version of USB Overdrive or something like that? Some sort of generic multi-button mouse driver for OS X?

Try Kingston Mouse Works... I know they have an osx version. I don't know what it will do for a M$ mouse though :p

Versiontracker.com should have a link.

I thought I saw something about that too. I have a MS mouse as well and I swore I saw something recently about it....who knows I guess we'll see hopefully soon.....

The same guy who does USB Overdrive (a beta just came out) is programming the USB drivers for MS mice and keyboards. I have heard that he hopes to have them released by the end of the February.

This is great because I am really sick of having my apple key mapped to where the option key should be. Anyone know of a way I can remap the keyboard now?

--KW

Some time ago, Microsoft announce officially on the mouse driver page of their website that they would NOT be supporting their mice under OSX. Unless they have changed their minds since, that is still the state of affairs, and they only support Mac OS 8.6 - 9.2.2. Bad Karma for Microsoft for sulking.

I have just installed USBOverdrive, and find that it restores almost all of the functionality given byt the M$ drivers. I have yet to discover if multi-directional scroll is available.

Hmmm... I don't remember seeing that anywhere on Microsoft's site (I'm not calling you a liar, I just missed that!)

I do remember an "announcement" made by Microsoft and quoted on a few news pages (macnn.com, macintouch.com, maccentral.com) that they would have drivers for OS X released for their IntelliMouse series and have them ready "by the end of next week" (which was, at the time, in November or December). I don't understand WHY MicroSoft would drop OS X development for one of their popular Macintosh peripherals...

I'll keep holding my breath, but in the meantime, yes! USBOverdrive rocks!

A question about the USBOverdrive. I cant get the buttons on the side to work separately from the regular left or right click. They seem to do what ever i assign the left or right click to do. Did this happen to you guys?

This program rules...My mouse finally feels like a real mouse again.

While at MacWorld Expo, I stopped by Microsoft's booth and asked the guy that was demoing their keyboard and optical mouse (which just so happened to have intellipoint drivers loaded, but was only a beta at the time).

I asked when they were releasing the drivers and he said the drivers would be out in February and that there were only minor finishing touches that needed to be done.

From what I have learned from any vendor is that you never trust their first answer, so I came back later on in the day and asked another person and I got the same exact answer.

Hopefully this month it will be out. I'm not holding my breath though.:eek:

OS X drivers for MS Mice are bieng worked on. I am using the beta version for OS X, and the are solid so far. If anyone wants them let me know.

Originally posted by Damanez
OS X drivers for MS Mice are bieng worked on. I am using the beta version for OS X, and the are solid so far. If anyone wants them let me know.

I'm interested. my e-mail is b4tn@mac.com

I installed USB Overdrive last night and I am totally impressed. This is an awesome ap that will make full use of the 4th and 5th buttons on M$ Intellimice.

I can finally use them to skip back and fourth in iTunes or my web browsers. Send this guy your 20 bucks!

How did you get the fourth and fifth buttons to skip forward and back?? i have played with most of the settings and nothing skips for me..

Thanks.

Attn: Zeigan

To set your 4th & 5th buttons to forward/ back in browsers, set up a new setting for your specific browser, then set one button to have the button command 'Apple+right' (forward), and the other 'Apple+left' (back). Took a little fiddling to figure out which button was referred to as button 4 and button 5, but was easy to sort out.

Good luck and happy mousing :)

JeffCGD

Back