Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1

mightyjlr

Registered
i have used IE for windows and IE for OSX. everyone i have talked to, windows and mac users alike prefer IE on OSX. why would microsoft make they're IE for mac better... which it for the most part obviously is...

PS... when will Office X be released... I cant wait....

There is a good article in the October 2001 issue of Macaddict where they interview members of the Macintosh Business Unit (macbu) at Microsoft. I am not a huge fan of Microsoft, but it does seem as though they have finally "got it" in regards to Mac users.

What they have done, is created the Macbu, and let them govern the Mac versions of their products. They employ 185 "Mac-heads" (by the way, the largest Mac programming department outside of Apple) That do their best to put out really great Mac products. One quote from the article illustrates why there are differences between the two platforms, and why you are likely to see more differences in the future.

snip
"While Office 98 for Mac mirrored Office 97 for Windows in terms of features, Office 2001 boasted massive interface improvements. It included approximately 40 new features not available in the Windows equivalent, and even introduced a so-called new app in the form of Entourage (we like to think of it as Outlook Express with fancy hubcaps.) In fact, the Mac Office division neither consults with nor pays much attention to the Windows Office division, other than making sure file formats are compatible."
/snip

Macaddicts are Macaddicts no matter where they work. I never thought i would say it, but i actually enjoy using Microsoft Office, and Explorer for Mac. (I feel so dirty now.)

I have tried the beta of Office 10, and it is very very nice. Though, I do have misgivings about how they are going to sell this.

It would be fair to say that from the beta, the only differences are cosmetic and a few logical working steps. It does work fabulously under the new look (it really is a treat), but not much in the way of new features (in the beta anyway).

So, are we going to pay the full price for a cosmetic change?

As for Microsoft workers for Mac, good for them -- someone has to show Microsoft how to make better apps! (jus' wish Office had some of the same features as the Windows version);)

uoba, what features are found on the windows version and not on the mac version? i am 18 and a new mac user, and i have been using windows for all of my life. the 500 mhz g4 titanium powerbook and OSX switched me over, and ill never go back... i have used office for windows, what can i expect to be different in the mac version?

You can customise everything to suit the way you work, a hell of a lot more (calendar views, contacts, etc.) Plus, Outlook for Windows is more business orientated.

Entourage seems more geared towards small-business or personal use. (BUT, looks ten times better, and is on the Mac, which makes it 100 times better!);)

Office, Excel and that horrible Powerpoint is essentially the same as the windows version for features.

Back