Microsoft "Longhorn" Discussion

Scummer said:
People got used to DOS or Windows, because they could just copy it without a problem, therefore getting used to that system without having to look for an alternative. Now those people have become decision makers in companies for IT departments and what do they buy? Of course what they know best, Windows/Dos/Office. People have to start using that software now in companies they work for and get used to it. What do they start buying for their home use? Comps with Windoze on it of course, because thats what they know best from work. And so on and so on. You think every home user can just shell out 700$ for a office package? I'd say, the minimum does that. Its companies that buy the licenses because they don't know better, since as i mentioned before, the decision makers don't know anything else but winblows.
My god, i remember what a friggin pain in the ass it was to get some of the programs to run right by editing autoexec.bat and config.sys. It was HORRIBLE! You think people would buy such crappy software? No way. It was either bundled with the PC or copied.

Thomas

That makes some sense but is a long path based on many assumptions. Many, many people have bought the products on their own accord. Pirating software has a huge effect, but I doubt it changed more than 10% of the population's perception of MS. Remember that most people just use the software and don't pay attention to what is going on. Only a very small portion like to pay attention to what is going on with the companies whose products they use.

Gambit said:
Some of Apples "mistakes" are known to me somewhat but I'd like to just ask for some more specifications on these "mistakes" on Apples part.

Would you mind sharing the ones you have in mind and think have made a diff. for Apples future value?

I'm just a curious person overall and would like to hear what you think.

Regards

/G

The biggest one I can think of off the top of my head would be letting Gates one up them at the begining.

I see it as two companies offering two different versions of the same thing. One company came out on top and the other struggles to uproot the lead. For the one on top mistakes come and go causing little trouble, but for the second company small errors can cause major problems.

In other words, MS can make large mistakes and never see any negetive reaction due to them, but if Apple makes a mistake it really shows through.

For example, look at the recent 10.2.8 problems. If MS puts out a bad update and looses 100 users, they will never know. If Apple looses 100 users it will show.

Same with the long wait for the AL 15" PB. If, due to the wait, Apple lost potential buyers, it will show up in lack of sales. The goal is to counter any lost users with new users, but it would be nice to never loose those users in the first place.

Wow. Not only is it an icon of the system suitcase, but it's an icon of the system suitcase in the "Gizmo" theme! (Observed the subtle dark and light lines on the suitcase part)... What the hell is that doing there?

Completely off-topic, I've been seeing this around the site recently and it's starting to bug me.

"Loose" = not tight, and is pronounced "lüce." "Lose" = to suffer loss and is pronounced "lüze." Thank you.

On-topic, I haven't seen anything in Longhorn that I actually like except the clock and the rippling windows. Other than that, I haven't seen anything I like.

Except possibly the OS 9 icons. ;)

*Snip*
citizentony said:
In other words, MS can make large mistakes and never see any negetive reaction due to them, but if Apple makes a mistake it really shows through.
*Snip*

-Obviously.

There are good things about being the underdog and bad ones.
I got the blues when I read a couple of days ago that Apple stands (as it is now) for 2% of the market.
Not that I had expected the procentage to be huge but....2%?! Ah, Man!
What's next? A whipe out, is what I thought, with my head hanging down.

At least Apple could do with a nice 10%, imv.
Some of my mac user friends were not so dismal about it and said that they are optimisic that things will turn upwards.

Being a part of a nice minority is ok. Being the size of an amoeba is not!
Aspecially when the brand one hangs on to is so d*mn good!

From the pics I saw of the "Longhorn" I think that one or two things looked pretty good. But looking good isn't everything, naturally.

It just seems like the graphical ppl. at W$ has to put stuff EVERYWHERE. Icons, plips, plops or what have you not.

The bootpic could have been nice if it was stripped down abit.

One thing else I noticed was that it seems the one of the two most crappy things about W$ LH is that they will keep the unfriendly userGUI...still.

The other of the two is something I have no idea of if it will change with LH and that is.....breakdowns/patches/viruses.

/G

Jason said:
yeah but did apple implement them? ;)

Because I don't know about these things: Can someone use another one's patent if that another person/company didn't use it? I'm not trying to argue here... Just asking!

I'm sure that apple's idea of piles is different from Microsoft's. I think MS has copied the idea of piles, but they're using it different..

Maybe apple's ideea is that when you right-click (or ctrl-click) a pile, the pile 'explodes' to an Exposé-likely effect, so all documents of that pile are presented on the screen, just like Exposé does with 'Automaticly show all open windows'! They're showed as thumbnails (little screenshots of what's inside the document!), so you can easily see which document you want. Then you can click on the document that you want to open!..... Ok, don't mind me :), i'm dreaming again... :)

Back