Microsoft Office Help!!!!

dazcoutts

Registered
I am having a problem with Microsoft programs on my G4 733Mhz running 10.2.8

Explorer unexpectedly quits on Start Up
Excel unexpectedly quits on Start Up when I click just the program to open it but when I open an excel document it opens up without crashing.
Entourage starts up and crashes whenever I try to read an email with HTML embeded messages.

Word & Powerpoint start up with no problems.

I have Java 1.4.1 installed but have taken it back to 1.31 as suggested by someones post. Still no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Did you update Office X?
The latest is 10.1.5 I think...
Try this and post your results.
Also repair your permissions booting from your jaguar CD/DVD and using Disk Utilities..
Good luck!

Zammy-Sam said:
Did you update Office X?
The latest is 10.1.5 I think...
Try this and post your results.
Also repair your permissions booting from your jaguar CD/DVD and using Disk Utilities..
Good luck!

I am on Office version 10.1.5 already. Could you please tell me how I can repair permissions.

Boot from your jaguar CD/DVD and don't start the installation routine but click on the finder menu and use Disk Utilities. You will enter a window where you can either erase or repair or partition your discs. Pick repair and check your disc

dazcoutts said:
I am on Office version 10.1.5 already. Could you please tell me how I can repair permissions.
The best way to do this is to run Disk Utility which is in the Utilities folder within your Applications folder. From within Disk Utility select your startup drive then Repair Permissions. The reason that this is better than repairing permissions from the install CD is that you are using the permissions for your actual system version, i.e. 10.2.8 permissions as opposed to 10.2.3 permissions. But a good thing to do would be to boot into Disk Utility from the Install CD (choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu) and then select your hard drive and then Repair Disk.

Did you adjust any important settings? If not, than go to home/Library/Preferences/
Trash the following files:
com.microsoft.Excel.plist
com.microsoft.OfficeNotifications.plist
com.microsoft.Word.plist

You will need to reenter your serial after this.
There must be a folder called Microsoft in the same folder too. Move it somewhere else, since I don't know if trashing it will be helpful. Of course, same to all those upper files. Just move them instead of trashing.
If this still causes the same problem, I would suggest you to reinstall office X and ie

I had a similar problem a while back. It turned out to be a DivX plugin that was in my Quicktime plugin folder (Library->QuickTime..or...~->Library Quicktime. For some reason Microsoft products have a real problem with that plugin.

Satcomer said:
I had a similar problem a while back. It turned out to be a DivX plugin that was in my Quicktime plugin folder (Library->QuickTime..or...~->Library Quicktime. For some reason Microsoft products have a real problem with that plugin.

Thanks very much it was the DivX Quicktime Component.

All is now well since I removed it.

Back