Mighty mouse - doesn't live up to it's name

The Doctor

Registered
Hi

The Mighty mouse is the only mouse I have ever used on my mac as I switched from "windows" on april, but the Mighty Mouse (wired) Has given me porbelms:

Ball can't be cleaned and won't work
and WORSE of all .. the mouse on the screen randomly moves! What can I do?

The Doctor

What ball? !!

The random jumping to a corner of the screen seemed to happen if the mouse mat has a screen printed image on it (lots of amall dots). Since changing to a bit of carpet (a real mat!!) it has not happened.

Yea I could use a trackball, but that is a bad idea, the actal mouse is great it's the Jumping and the Mouse ball that can't be cleaned (for the 360 scrolling)

I wonder if the bluetooth one is better, apprently It has better optical thingy lol.

The Doctor

P.S My mouse still jumps ... I will find a nice surface, but the whole point of a optical mouse is so it doesn't do that!

Traditional rubber-style (without the hard top) mouse pads are good for optical mice. I've found that anything with the slightest bit of glossiness (plastic-top mouse pads, magazines, glass desks) will send an optical mouse to crazy-land.

Yep, Plastic topped and free lol

Altho, the way optical is adversited is Any terrain, In saying that the new Bluetooth Mighty Mouse has a better Sensor apprently, So I might go for that to.

Thank you

The Doctor

"What ball? !!" depends on which post you're referring to, sgould. The first one meant the scroll-ball of the Mighty Mouse, the second meant a trackball:

Something like this:

B00006B8NW.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It generally works like a MacBook's trackpad, but with a big central ball to move around. Notebooks, before Apple introduced the trackpad with the PowerBook 500 series a long time ago, used little trackballs instead of a mouse.

I Was talking about the 360 scrolling trackball which is crap lol

The only apple hardware I hate... I LOVE the keyboard, esp. the big keys

Should I go for the more powrful laaser and wirless Mighty mouse, or something else?

Any Ideas?

The Doctor

This thread continues on the next page >>

I think a $20 wireless optical mouse from Logitech or Microsoft would probably outperform the Mighty Mouse with its tail tied behind its back ('course it wouldn't a tail).

Doug

Mighty Mice, despite the name, just aren't that good mice. So I, too, would recommend something else instead. Go find out what you like to work with...

Brought imac G4 secondhand came with Mighty Mouse ball didn't work scrolling downwards thought pos faulty .Looked on Apple's site suggest turning mouse upside down and moving ball as this will move dirt off ball detecting system and it did.

Other than this small problem I had at first I have found no problems with the Mighty Mouse.

But everyone to there own.

See, I might as I said go for the stronger bluetooth Mighty Mouse as I LOVE the side buttons and the one button desgin and even the apple logo :p

How ever, the scroll ball is just a PAIN.

I used a v. good microsoft mouse On my PC (which my dad now has) and it worked much better and does work on my mac, however lacks the side buttons, I also like to show off with my side buttons when my dad's in the room :p

The Doctor

heard about it but I haven't seem it:
I have it's wireless predecessor and you might want to consider the extra running costs, batteries don't really last long in these things.

heard about it but I haven't seem it:
I have it's wireless predecessor and you might want to consider the extra running costs, batteries don't really last long in these things.

Is it worth the cost, does it move good?

The Doctor

I tested out a Mighty Mouse at the Apple store (It was hooked up to a Mac Pro!), and I can see what you mean. Left and right click are ok, but you almost have to pick the mouse up and push on the side to activate the side buttons. The click-the-scroll-wheel thing is a little odd too.
Maybe it's just me, but 50 bucks for a wired mouse seems like a lot. I'd much rather use a non-apple mouse with all the same functions, then have 30 bucks left over.

I like how everything is place on the Mighty Mouse and maybe the optical light will be better... Does anyone know if there is a very simalir mouse to the Mighty Mouse?

There's a wired and unwired version. I haven't tried the unwired one yet, though, because they can't leave them out at stores..
Then there's the single-button ones.. but they're not at the online Apple store, from what I see.

Back