Migrating a Parallel virtualization from one mac to another

RonaldMacDonald

Registered
I want to move the whole shebang from one Mac to another. Is it possible without having to install Parallels, Win XP and all the installed applications?

Is it possible using fire wire?

At the very least, can I just install Parallels, XP and migrate all the other installed applications and files on that virtulization?

Can I do this without Migrating any of the Mac stuff?

Since XP and all the apps are stored in the Parallels disk image, you can just start one Mac in Target Disk Mode (T at startup) and copy it all over by FireWire. You'd just have to reinstall Parallels on the second Mac. I just did this a couple weeks ago.

If I install Parallels on a second machine, would copying over the Parallels disk image contain the XP software as well as the applications and documents? I am not on my Mac with Parallels at the moment but what is the name of the file or files I need to fire wire over?

Everything should be in a Parallels folder. On my system, it's in the Documents folder. Search for "XP" on your system and you should find it.

Yes, copying the Parallels virtual machine file copies the entire Windows XP installation and anything else you've installed alongside it.

It's basically akin to taking a hard drive out of one PC and putting it in another (without the compatibility and driver issues).

Back