Migrating MySQL databases from 10.3 to 10.4 install

bunner bob

Registered
Everyone keeps telling me how cool Tiger is, but the number one reason I'm not upgrading is, I have about 10 MySQL databases (I'm a developer) all set up in MySQL and I'm afraid of having to recreate them when I upgrade.

Is there somewhere these databases live that I could just move them over manually?

My plan would be to do an erase & install, or possibly archive & install - I like things clean, clean, clean. If I was just upgrading I wouldn't be as worried (though perhaps I should be).

- Bob

If you used the standard .pkg installer available from mysql.com, then your databases are stored in:

/usr/local/mysql/data

You'll need super-user privileges to modify/copy/remove that directory, though. What I usually do is install mysql fresh, then copy over the ./data directory and run a few tests to make sure the databases/tables are intact and the user privileges migrated as well.

1) how did you install MySQL ? I'm aware of at least 5 different ways of installing, so it would be nice to know *what* you've installed

2) what's the result of this command in Terminal :
mysqladmin --user='root' --password='******' variables | grep 'datadir'

3) It's possible to use symbolic links in the datadir and thus locate the databases way out of reach of a re-install of Mac OS X

4) You can just take a plain copy of the datadir for backup !after! having stopped the mysqld server properly

Back