Migration from Panther Server to Leopard Server

anthonyc17

Registered
I'm faced with the daunting task of migrating from Panther Server to Leopard Server. The present server is the Primary DNS serving several web sites (some of which is running MySQL databases). I have the luxury that we've bought 2 new Xserves last year, but due to time constraints, I haven't time until now to seriously consider the steps to this daunting task. We're also currently using a linux box for the firewall (it does no routing, just iptables rules). I want to migrate away from this also and utilize either Apple's firewall or a router. Is there anything out there on the web that will help me in this process? I'm terrified of messing up the production environment, especially since the Xserve is our DNS.

Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking more of building everything from scratch, since I have 2 xserves not on-line -- creating new accounts, copying the web sites and MySQL databases, building the DNS from scratch, then somehow testing on a closed system. Thoughts?

Looks like I made a mistake--I'm upgrading from Jaguar, not Panther. This goes to show you that I haven't messed with this thing since it's been stable for so long. I need to upgrade for security reasons. Mea culpa!!!

Wow. So Jaguar to Leopard. I've done Jaguar to Tiger, but I haven't seen much of what you're asking. Since you're concerned over downtime and disturbing the mission critical server, why not build it in parallel? Personally, I'd want to build up my new server from scratch, to some extent and you'll be a bit limited with what you can directly copy between the platforms, but that shouldn't stop you from being able to grab up some of the bits and setup the new machine in similar fashion to the old one.

This will also give you the opportunity to thoroughly test the new Xserve and, if the new machine isn't performing as you anticipated, to simply power up the old Jaguar server and take the new Xserve back to the test lab to re-evaluate.

Having the extra server is a huge luxury in this case! You may as well take advantage of it! :)

Michael

Thanks Michael,
Since I'm migrating the DNS server also, obviously it has to be a closed system (192.168.x.x). Can I configure the DNS of the new server with the zones of the production server while on the closed system? I'm confused about this.

Back