Migration help

ytbor

Registered
Hi,

Just got Macbook Pro as my primary laptop at work. Let me first say ... the size, look, the way mousepad works, keyboard ... just remarkable. You have to feel it ... to see the difference.

Now, I'm originally from Unix world, had trouble adjusting to windows but lot of apps on windows helped that transition. I'm having trouble adjusting to this laptop. So many things are different. So many things I took for granted on Linux and Windows don't work here, not even Vim (I know bash has vi, but its a different thing to have context menu with file explorer and stuff. Finder is an abomination for a file explorer).

I'm amazed at the quality of this laptop and how trackpad responds. But, I need some serious help with migration. I'm working in VirtualBox for much of my office work. I don't mind paying for a good program, but I'm kind of wary of paying for a decent file explorer.

It would also be helpful to know how you prefer to manage files, rather than simply stating that Finder is an abomination.

Many users swear by (or swear at :D ) Spotlight - which can often give you quick access to any app or file in only a couple of keystrokes.
Learning to use Smartfolders for enhanced searching/file organization is another possibility.

Apple also provides a lot of information for switchers. Have you looked through some of that info?
example - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2514
I know some of the steps will be basic for you - but there's quite a few alternatives that you can look over.

There are other apps or utilities that can supplement, or even replace the Finder.
Many users like Path Finder.
You can try the demo to see if you like it...
http://www.cocoatech.com/pathfinder/

There's also TotalFinder: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33373/totalfinder
And, you can search for others on one of the good software download sites, or at the App Store.

And, depending on how you work, upgrading to Mavericks (OS X 10.9) when it is released, offers some change to how files and the finder work together. It's possible that will be enough in your direction to be a good upgrade for you.

OS X is not Yet Another Version of Windows. It is, however, Certified UNIX 03. You are free to install Linux/Unix Windows managers and applications. With either Fink or MacPorts, you may install virtually any opensource traditional Unix software that you want. That said, many traditional Unix applications have been ported to the standard OS X GUI. Vim is one of these.

Now, down to cases. When you moved your computing environment to the Mac, you moved to a new land. It is time that you learned new ways. You willingly learned the Windows way when you moved from Linux to Windows. It is time to learn again. You may have mission-critical applications for which only Windows software exists. I get that. However, most of your computer tasks are not hampered by such lack of choice. You have excellent OS X software available for the vast majority of your computer needs. You may choose from available freeware, shareware, and commercialware. Almost all of it is listed at MacUpdate and c|net Download.com. Many of these and other titles are available at the Mac App Store.

Using a virtualizing solution like VirtualBox is OK as a transition strategy or to avoid using a separate Windows computer to run Windows-only mission-critical software. However, hanging onto your Windows past will only impede your progress as you become proficient on the Mac.

Back