Missing Features in 10.1...

jove

Hello,

I just started using 10.1. I have noticed a few items that I was hopeful or expected to see. Overall I am very happy with this release. Please submit your own items.

* Energy Saver does not have seperate settings for battery and AC
* Desktop pictures are still not very flexible
* Better default organization of applications
* Video conferencing (Windblows has it built in so Yahoo, and AOL get it for free)
* I liked the battery and airport docklings. They have been replaced with menulings
* Updated dev tools
* Internet applications still do not use the internet sys pref settings!
* Get Info only shows one item at a time. I have wanted multiple calc folder sizes ot once
* Spring loaded something - especially drag item onto folder in dock

mail still sucks. i tried and tried to get on with it. im moving to Entourage when it's released.

whats wrong with it?

you can't set a default reply to address

you cant specify the encoding for attachments (no PeeCee friends have been able to open my attachments)

the address book isn't intergrated into the app, another icon to shrink your dock.

also, i just tried to mount a PC formatted zip, would it mount? :mad:
and when i tried to read from a CDR that had a fleck on it, the finder crashed, no errors nothing- just crashed. OK so i could remove the crumb but thats not the point...

im gonna pick'em off one by one...:(

Originally posted by jove
* Energy Saver does not have seperate settings for battery and AC
... and the minimum delay before a sub-system can be turned off is five minutes ! Five !!! :confused: (In Mac OS 9, the factory default for the hard drive is to turn off after one minute.) Talk about a great way to waste your precious battery power ! :(

You gotta be kidding! That's terrible - you'd be spinning your HD down every time you stopped to think, and then waiting for it to spin up every time you were finished thinking.

Quite aside from the annoyance of waiting, and all the extra noise, that is terrible for the drive - spinning up and down is the big source of wear and tear on a drive. If you want to be that extra little bit protected against HD crashes, the best thing is actually probably to have the drive spin down only when the computer is shut off.

You've got macosx.com practically begging you to upload your copy to their servers. If you haven't already please (let me beg too!) please do so...yesterday!
Thanks.

NO kidding, I don't care what it doesn't have, I want it on my mac!
Please post it on MacOSX.com! I have a fast DSL connection, I'll download it!

Really? Sweet! Well lets figure out where you can upload it! Is your copy the true GM? Is it the same build? doesn't really matter, just find the upload!:)

This is the offical copy they were giving away at the Apple booth at Seybold.
What utility can I use to make the CD into an image file. Disk Copy that comes with OS X seems to only be able to mount images but not make them.

Ive emailed the admin so that we can find a way to upload it, don't have a reply yet though. about creating a disk image....how about Disk Utility? What does that do beside check the HD?

Originally posted by MacSub
Ive emailed the admin so that we can find a way to upload it, don't have a reply yet though. about creating a disk image....how about Disk Utility? What does that do beside check the HD?

Either use Disk Copy or Shrinkwrap in OS 9, or Disk Copy in 10.1.

Originally posted by jove
I liked the battery and airport docklings. They have been replaced with menulings

Me too. I copied them back to the Dock Extras folder from a 10.0.4 volume and they still work on 10.1 :)

I don't like the menuthings at all and I am realy pissed off that they changed the way the menu bar clock works.:mad: You can Command-drag the menuthings off the menu bar. Putting them back requires checking the appropriate checkbox in the appropriate preference pane or elsewhere. Messy. Hate 'em.

my two complaints - DVD only plays on screen with the menu bar
Time no longer becomes date when you click on it.

Apple dragging menu things rearranges/removes them, it's decent.
DVD works, pretty well
waaaaaaaaaaaaay faster. Everything faster. I heard, I didn't believe ... I now believe
iCab can access https pages again, thank you Apple for fixing URL access

the Mail app is essentially unchanged. Your default reply to address is your top most listed address in your accounts. The address book is supposed to be separate, it's a system wide feature that happens to be used by Mail, it's a good thing. Think OpenDoc instead of M$ Office.

it's all good.

Originally posted by scruffy
You gotta be kidding! That's terrible - you'd be spinning your HD down every time you stopped to think, and then waiting for it to spin up every time you were finished thinking.

Quite aside from the annoyance of waiting, and all the extra noise, that is terrible for the drive - spinning up and down is the big source of wear and tear on a drive. If you want to be that extra little bit protected against HD crashes, the best thing is actually probably to have the drive spin down only when the computer is shut off.
You clearly don't have a portable, do you ? How about saving all that precious energy ? When you are working from a battery, turning off the disk sooner, dimming the screen sooner means being to be able to use the computer much longer without having to plug it in... With Mac OS 9, my iBook has an autonomy of 4.5 hours. With Mac OS X 10.0.4 (I have yet to see with 10.1), my same iBook had an autonomy of a little less than 2 hours. So yes, every little bit counts when it comes to energy saving !

Besides, 1 minute is a heck of a long time... If you are actually using your computer, you never stop typing or what not for more than a minute. If the disk shuts down, my experience in Mac OS 9 shows that the hard drive will remain still for about 10 minutes on average. And that probably means more than 10 minutes of autonomy gained from your battery !

And that wear and tear thing is gone way overboard. I've never had a single hard drive that broke or stopped working because of that wear and tear thing or for any other hardware reason*... and I've got Macs since 1984 (and hard drives since 1989, I think).

The only wear and tear sensitive drives are probably the el cheapo ones. But you usually don't get those in Macs, I guess !
_____
* Of course I've had disk getting corrupt because of a system crash, especially in the System 7 days (some of you might remember that awfully crashy OS...)

If not "wear and tear," then why do HDs fail...

That IS why Hard Drives fail.:eek:

Not just the "el Cheapo" ones.

Why do you think all drives have a mean time between failure rating?

Maybe 1 minute is cool for you, but I think that is way overboard. Buy another battery. If you're not actively using the HD for 1 minute or 5 minutes, it's not going to make that big a difference in terms of power savings. It would waste more power for me to do it that way due to the time waiting for the HD to spin back up...

Hello,

My wife is tanhe enginere, while discussing mileage she said that the energy consumed to reachieve a once constasnt momentum more than expected.

Highway vs City driving.

So if you take into account the energy loss of gaining the speed back and the user lost time waiting for it - there probably is not much of a difference between 1 and 5 minutes. 5 minutes may even be cheaper. As far as wear and tear - I imagine the constant shift in modes (sleep vs active) wears down a drive a lot faster than just letting it spin.

I'd like the date and time to pop down into a calendar, thatd be ideal. But yeah, I guess the current behaviour is acceptable. Thanks for correcting my blind spot.

As for spin down, yeah, like flourescent lights, turning them on and then off is electrically equivalent to leaving them on for ~7 minutes. HD's are similar in ratio. But there are reasons for everything. Mac X uses VM all the time, se the chance of your HD actually spinning down are a lot less. With this OS, you should just expect your HD to remain running in my opinion.

As for the 1 minute option, that was never to save energy. It was to stop the HD whine in a quiet room ASAP. It's the only moving part on a laptop, it was nice to stop it. I couldn't stand the noise it made in a classroom. Same logic goes for putting a Drive Sleep option in the control strip. I wish it were still reasonable. If I were still taking my laptop to class, I'd either boot into 9 or consider a solid state HD option.

And oh yeah, HD's fail, catastrophically, they all do. If you've never had one fail, your lucky, and probably a lightweight user. I have lots of machines eand even more drives. I've had 2 drives fail catastrophically this year alone. 1 was on my server and boy did that one make a mess of things before it went away. Drives are not reliable, we all need RAID5. whichi is, by the way, sorely lacking in the raid setup. It's a cool toy, but without RAID5, I consider the option nearly useless. The last thing I want is to make my HD access faster by making my data LESS safe. yikes.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Originally posted by apb3
If you're not actively using the HD for 1 minute or 5 minutes, it's not going to make that big a difference in terms of power savings.
Let us say that we agree to disagree.

Apparently, contrary to your argument, it does make a difference, because the iBook's battery lasts a lot less longer in Mac OS X than it does in Mac OS 9. (As I said in a previous post) And mind you, it is the same iBook with the same hardware characteristics (see below) !

By the way, I must say that I never shut down my desktop Macs, because I want to have access to internet or my docs when I want them. I have set my disk's drivers to shut down after a while, though, so as to save energy and decibels when my Mac sits idle. My Mac II si worked like that for 7 years, and its hard drive, a 285 MB from LaCie, worked like a charm until I retired my old computer. I would probably still be using this hard drive if it wasn't of its size : 285 MB is the size of a glorified diskette nowadays (barely enough for a Word document or two ! ;) ) ! So, 7 years of start-stop-start-stop as needed : that sounds like a pretty good stress test to me. And not a single hardware related failure !

Chances are, you are going to upgrade your disk drive to something bigger before it fails ! :D Unless you buy that el cheapo drive, that is !!!

Originally posted by theed
I'd like the date and time to pop down into a calendar, thatd be ideal.
Yep, I agree that would be a wonderful idea : I think I'll send that as a feedback to Apple ! :)

Back