Missing files in renamed folder

bforcade

Registered
I renamed a folder and the files in that folder disappeared. They are not in the trash. I don't know if the space available on this drive has changed. Can I use a utility like disk warrior?

Should that folder hold files that you created? Your documents, files, pictures?
Or, did you rename a random folder with files that belong to OS X?
Can you describe what that folder was, before you renamed it?

Most of the files that have disappeared are Nikon raw image files. Nothing to do with the operating system.

The files that have disappeared are mostly Nikon raw image files. They were in a folder with a long name and I was making it shorter. Thanks

FILES FOUND!
We found a folder named "lost+found". This folder was created a few weeks ago, not by anyone in our office. We still don't know how they got there. We ran disk utility and Disk Warrior and did not recover the files. However, we figured out one of the file names and searched for it and found it in this file "lost+found".

So, we think that the OS encountered a series of lost files which it placed in "lost+found". The original folder remained in place with an image of those files, but not the files. The files images were lost the minute the folder was renamed.

Anyway, we have the files back. Thanks for your interest.

Back