Missing processor power

macavenger

Registered
For some reason today my processor has been continually pegged at 100% usage, but I cant figure out where that processing time is going. I have attached the output from top, sorted by processor usage. As you can see, the total processor usage from listed processes adds up to only about 20%, and yet the processor shows 0% free. This isn't just a typo either- my entire system has been performing very sluggishly, to the point where even doing something simple like adjusting the formating in Pages lags. Something is eating up all of my available processing power. I have tried exiting all applications, as well as restarting the computer, with no change. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to find out where my processing power is going? Thanks.

Attachments

• Top_Output.pdf
    66.7 KB · Views: 22
Drag your terminal window downwards 'til you can see the finder listed and i'll bet my left pinkie that that's using all of the spare power, coupled with fix_prebind (whatever that is...). I have the same problem, I just enabled the finder quit option in tinker tool and I quit the finder when necessary (ie. when i'm using logic).

This thread details my problem in more detail:

http://www.logicuser.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3449

I'm now running Panther and any help would be appreciated.

So, do you want to ship that pinkie by USPS or FedEx? :p Actually, that has been the issue multiple times in the past. Not this time, unfortunately. As I mentioned, the list is sorted by processor usage. Those applications using the most will be displayed at the top of the list, and anything not showing is using less than the bottom most displayed process, in this case 0% I pulled up the process list in Activity viewer and verified this as well. Nothing that shows up either in Activity viewer or top can account for the processor usage. Any other ideas?

Back