Mobile Mac

It's definately possible. I've done this with a PC using Linux and mpeg123 as my player. I recently built one for a friend using windows. We integrated an LCD display into his dash and used an overlay on that for a touch screen control. It uses an MP3 player that we wrote in Visual Basic and, if I can remember correctly, WinDVD for DVD playback.
It is fairly nice although I don't entirely dig the use of windows. I must say, it would be MUCH cheaper and easier to control than building one from a Mac. Believe me, I've thought about it.
For my unit, I ended up using an infrared remote/reciever combo for control. I also hacked a keyboard controller and hooked it up to a control pad that I built, incase the batteries of the remote go dead.
As far as powering the computer, I built a powersupply that runs from 12v source. All you really need for most applications is a +12v, +5v, and +&-3v. For plans or to purchase a powersupply like this do a search for a "sproggy" power supply.
Input for the audio was handled through soldering an external mini DIN connector to the preamp out on my head unit. (if you don't feel comfortable doing this you can buy aftermarket HU's that already have an AUX in jack)
I've never had a problem with vibrations due to my subs in the trunk. I will also say that you want to insulate the HD as good as possible. You don't want to end up with a drive full of bad sectors due to head slap. I ended up building my own case and mounting the HD verticaly. That way if I was to encounter a large bump the head would mearly be knocked off track for a split second, instead of slapping into the HD platter.

EDIT:It was also mentioned to use a laptop HD for the player. This is an excelent idea. I've seen this done many times before. I was going to do this myself until I found a 30 gig drive that I already had sitting around. I haven't had any problems yet. My last fsck showed 1 bad sector after over 1 1/2 years of use.

Easier to control?
So, because it's in a car, and you can by things cheaper and cut them up, it's easier to control?
That would imply that a Windows PC is easier to control period. I use XP PCs at 3 days a week. Sure, it works, but there's nothing nice about it. Besides. If i wanted a beige-box system, I wouldnt need to make it. There is at least one company making commercial systems, with everything included.
As for the 'integrated lcd'.. I think i'll stick to a pop-out TV screen, so i don't destroy any chance of resale value along with my car, thanks mate.

Oh yeah... Just out of interest rhino... If you use a powersupply that uses 12v straight from the get-go, it basically works like any other device in the car, it gets power when the key is turned to "accessories", or "on" and turns off the rest of the time.. and i guess whether it does or doesn't.. what happens if for instance i'm playin around before i go somewhere. i then go to start the car. oh hey, the car started fine, but the starter motor sucks so much current that it just happened to make the computer i installed turn off. Oh well. I guess 30 more times won't matter either. I think i'll stick with a laptop system with a hard-wired laptop car-charger kit.

I think you're missing the point of my previous post. By easier to control I mean that you're less restricted by input method. The choices I had for input were fairly limited when it came to controlling the mac. Since I had quite a few PC parts laying around anyway it became obvious that I should build a PC... it's quick, simple. My reasoning for using the Mac would be the user interface. In my opinion a good install should hide the computational component from the end user. If I cover up the GUI with something that I've created the GUI choice becomes a mute point.

Truthfully, I hate windows... and as I said before, I use linux on my player. I'm not sure what you mean by your XP arguement.
The OS is only there for system functions. On the interface for my friends beige box you couldn't tell it was windows if I hadn't told you. he wrote his own shell and placed it over the top of Win98.

You'll need a clean 12 volt source. The voltage comming off the battery varies way to much. (not to mention that if your charging system is working properly it should be around 14.7 volts.) The voltage can be evened out using caps and voltage resistors... but that still leaves you needing 5v and 3v sources.

Build it like you want to build it. The reason I brought up the PC is because you mentioned cheaper alternatives. I figured if it's cheaper, easier to control, and easier to find hardware for you might be interested. Speaking as a voice of experience, I feel it would be much easier to get done using a PC... although I'd love to see one built using a Mac.

Also... my power source is running straight from the battery. I've never had a problem with my amps dropping low enough to cut the computer off. The majority of the time it's not on when I start the car anyway. If you would do a little research into the power supply you'll find that this is a non issue.

Hey man, thanks for the input.. I guess Im a getting used to people telling me i should use a pc, and it's like a reflex action and stuff. but anyways... Also. I've never heard of an alternator putting out 14.7v... I've only ever seen 13.5v being the "usual" output when the engine is running. Anyways.. I guess there are other matters in this, such as the amount of current the starter needs. If the engine needs more kick to turn over, it will obviously take more current from the battery...

As for the varying power from a car battery, I never said I planned to hard wire it to a battery. I said I would hardwire a laptop charger (rather than running it through the cigarette lighter) and run the unit from that, which would give me 2hours at least of running time, if I want to use it without the car running..

This is off topic, but I've been wanting to call you on this throughout the entire thread and I wanted to make sure no one else had already...
Originally posted by Pengu
As for the temperature, according to apple, the ambient temp should be betweeen 10 and 35 degrees C for operating, and anything from -40 to 47 degrees C for "storage".

Uh. Hang on. I think they made a slight boo-boo. They give the temps in Farenheit as well, but they give the minimum temp for storage as being -40 degrees F as well.
The equation for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit is 9/5C + 32 = F. Now, -40 * 9/5 is -360/5, or -72. Add 32 to that and we get... (drumroll please) -40! So, you can see that -40° is the crossing point for Fahrenheit & Celsius.

On topic, I think you have some excellent ideas and I think you should go with a used laptop that you can abuse a bit. I had a thought: some people at Mac Addict built something they called iBorg (don't know if you've heard of it or not), and I thought you should email them and ask for some tips. It's an iBook-controlled robot that can roll around, see where it's going, and knows not to run into things. Even though it's different than getting sound into your car, they might have some hardware suggestions, especially Ian Sammis.

Cheers for that arden.. And as for the temp thing, I've never had to use Farenheit for anything, cus I don't live in a backwards country like all you yankees :p

Heh, you think I'm a Yankee... you should meet me.

Any chance you know Scott Kevill?

it's funny that people from other countries refer to Americans as Yankees, while we here in America only refer to Northerners as Yankees.

I for one definitely do not consider myself a Yankee.

Yes. Although, I think the more common term is actually Yanks. I just love watching you southern yokels squirm.

Ah the power of the internet. The power to make a southern american hick squirm from the comfort of my bedroom.

Note: No offence is meant by the term hick, so please don't edit this. THIS MEANS YOU MODS!.

Back