MobileMe sync?

jennyquatro

Registered
Ok, I have never called a support desk so many times as I have with Apple over the last few months and I'm fairly computer savvy - except for Apple, apparently. Thank goodness they have enormous patience! I was on the phone yesterday about getting my printer to work wirelessly with my MB - finally solved after 2 hours. After being on the phone for at least an hour the day before. Not to mention the supposedly great Logitech VX Revolution for the notebook that turned out to be defective and I had to send it back to Amazon today!

Now, my iMac's hard drive is dying (already) and I have an appt to lug it down to the nearest Apple Store on Sunday - a day shot due to the distance.

Sooo, I decided to sign up for the MobileMe trial so I can run my small home biz if I have to leave it there. This is the initial sync and it's been running for almost TEN hours! When I called after 6 hours, they said the first sync does take a long time, but this seems a bit much. I don't even have that much stuff to sync on the iMac! I'm sorry for the frustration, which I'm sure you can detect, but is this normal or not?

Thanks for any help!

Exactly how much stuff do you have to sync? 10 megabytes? 10 gigabytes?

Do you have MobileMe set up to sync your iDisk to your home folder?

Nope, I had practically nothing as my machines are relatively new. I called a friend that worked for Apple for 20+ years. HE couldn't figure it out (another hour+ on the phone). So, being stubborn as I am, I got it finally working by enabling iDisk. BTW, the Back to My Mac, or whatever it's called, seems useless to me. Job security, I guess. Anyway, all is syncing fine now and it took less than 10 minutes once I figured it out. Maybe someone ought to clue Apple Support in that not only does it not take 6 hours, it for sure doesn't take 10!

Now to find a reliable notebook mouse and to somehow get the printer to scan. And then off to the Apple Store on Sunday. Oh boy.

Back