Modem Trouble-intermediate User

bcarter

Registered
Hi,
I have a MAC G3 (OS 9.2) with an internal modem and over the last few weeks I have been unable to connect to the Internet. I am getting the error message that the modem detects "No dial tone". I never had any issues connecting prior to this. Everything is fine with my ISP/phone provider and the connection seems fine. What steps should I take next?

If you unplug the phone line from your computer, and plug that into a standard phone, do you get a dial tone there? If not, your line is dead/bad wire.
If you do get a dial tone through a normal phone, then the internal modem has probably failed. Any chance of lightning storms in your area this summer? The modem, attached to the phone line, is very vulnerable to damage.

I checked my home line and that is okay. There has been some lightning storms over the summer. I guess the modem is R.I.P then. Thanks for your response.

-Bruce

I checked my line and do get a dial tone. There has been some lightning storms over the summer. I guess the modem is R.I.P then. Thanks for your response.

-Bruce

I checked my home line and that is okay. There has been some lightning storms over the summer. I guess the modem is R.I.P then. Thanks for your response.

-Bruce

Back