monitor resolution

kiemposan

Registered
hi, this is my first post here, i hope you 'experts' can help me out.

ok, problem:

i have a g4 400hz running osx 10.2.8, which is attached to a 17 inch apple flat screen monitor, by a strange cable which has a usb into the g4 also. i didnt buy this new so im not sure what it is. anyway, the basic problem is that i can only select one resolution for my monitor in sys prefs, 1024x768. why cant i choose any other res. Im not sure what graphics card i have as i didnt buy the original, ive looked around on the forums and havent had much luck, so now i look to you guys for some advice.

i just cant work it out, is it my monitor, my cable, my graphics card???

cheers for any help

Kiemposan...

kiemposan said:
hi, this is my first post here, i hope you 'experts' can help me out.

ok, problem:

i have a g4 400hz running osx 10.2.8, which is attached to a 17 inch apple flat screen monitor, by a strange cable which has a usb into the g4 also. i didnt buy this new so im not sure what it is. anyway, the basic problem is that i can only select one resolution for my monitor in sys prefs, 1024x768. why cant i choose any other res. Im not sure what graphics card i have as i didnt buy the original, ive looked around on the forums and havent had much luck, so now i look to you guys for some advice.

i just cant work it out, is it my monitor, my cable, my graphics card???

cheers for any help

Kiemposan...

Look in Apple System Profiler (About this Mac under the Apple, then More Info)....what Machine Model does it say in the first window, and what video card does it say under the Devices and Volumes tab (should be the first thing listed)?

Sounds more like it's a 15" model. LCDs have a fixed resolution because they only have a certain number of pixels, so you can't run any other resolutions than 1024x768 anyway.

I think that ive found out what the problem is, unfortunately there does not seem to be a way around it without buying new.

My display is connected via a DVIator, because my G4 is the oldest PCI version and doesnt have an ADC port. So i have to use one to attach my display, this only supports my display at this set resolution, i think it prevents the graphics card from communicating with the monitor.

Can anyone think of a way around it or have a better explanation of whats happening.

You might be able to get a PCI Radeon card with a DVI port on it, which will require a different adaptor but should support more resolutions.

KSV, I'm ashamed of you. You should know that an LCD screen's supported resolution is not its only resolution. Yes, it will look best at 1024x768, but you can certainly change it to 800x600 or 640x480 if you so desire (unless you can't like Kiemposan ;)). It will just look blurry.

Does the adaptor you're using have DIP switches on it (little tiny on/off switches)? If so, those switches are used to set the resolution of the adaptor, whereas only one resolution would show up.

It sounds like you're using an ADC to VGA adaptor, and I don't think those adaptors had DIP switches. Is there any identifying information on the adaptor: company name, type of adaptor?

Back