Monitor Turns Black

mtootle

Registered
I set my screen's resolution to 800x600 in order to play a newly downloaded game demo (Jets N'Guns). The screen went black and will not reset after trying many things:
- restarting
- resetting pram and nvram via command keys Apple-option-p-r
- trying to go into single user mode to access something (anything!)
- going into open firmware mode and typing the commands reset pram, reset nvram

The monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 953BW) begins with the usual light grey background with a dark grey Apple icon with the spinning 'clock' under that. As soon as the monitor turns light blue, the screen goes black. I plugged the monitor into the digital video jack of my MacPro and it works fine.

My computer is a G4 dual 867 (mirrored doors, I believe is what it's called, or something like that) running Tiger.

Can you help?

Try doing a "Safe Boot" -- hold the Shift key down while the system boots, and it should boot in a resolution supported by the monitor. Then, once booted, visit the Displays pane of the System Preferences and reset your resolution.

¡Mucho gracias!

I have had so many attempts to get the monitor back. My daughter needs that computer for her school. I need her to have it back, otherwise she has to use my laptop!

You really helped, and it's great that the answer was so simple! I'm going to remember that!

Very thankful,

MTootle

Back