Monitor Woes

unlearnthetruth

Recycle Me!
Some of you may know, my Apple Studio Display 17 CRT burnt out some time ago... Apparently the deflector board got fried somehow. Convenient. Anyway, I didn't have the money to replace it with something comparable, so I got a Mitsubishi DiamondPoint SB70. 17", flat screen CRT for like $250. I thought I was getting a good deal. I suppose I was, it's a nice monitor, but it didn't say anywhere what the refresh was at the max resolution, just that the max resolution was 1280 x 1024, which is what I use. Low and behold, refresh is 60 hz, which is unacceptable. After realized what exactly refresh means, I now see that THAT's the problem I get headaches whenever I use it, THAT's the reason my monitor is randomly flickering, etc... Anyway, until I scrounge up enough money to get a decent display (suggestions would be appreciated by the way), is there any way to overclock (so to speak) this to get a higher refresh? I know I can get higher resolutions than it supports...

thanks in advance...

Oh, if anyone wants to trade... let me know - heh

Looking at the Mitsubishi web site, the recommended resolution for this monitor is 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz. Using that res should give you basically flicker free vid. If you want true flicker-free. trade in and get an LCD. The only way to get higher refresh rate is to set a lower resolution.

oh no I'm fine with it at 1024 x 768... I just hate using this low a resolution. My original goal was to find some way to beat the system and get it running at 1280 x 1024 at a higher refresh...

for now I've settled for the lower resolution as much as I hate it.

In the mean time, I'm currently in the market for a 17" CRT that CAN handle 1280 x 1024 at an acceptable refresh... any ideas aside from Apple Studio Displays?

Back