Monterey Manage Storage on Fusion Drive/iCloud Question

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
So, it's raining today. Doing some cleanup and managing some folders. I clicked on "About this Mac" and taking a look at STORAGE for the HD(I hadn't done this in awhile).

And this has me scratching my head: Why is 85GB that are in two different drop box folders, showing up under documents On the Mac, and taking up that storage space on the Fusion HD?

And why is 20 GB on iCloud Drive showing up taking up that storage space on the HD?
When I click "show in finder" I see these folders/files in the Dropbox or the iCloud Archive... ok, great. So, why are these showing up as being on the computer too?

What secret setting did I choose that duplicates these on the computer? I don't want ALL my documents in the cloud; in fact I only want what I choose to be either in the cloud or dropbox. Which is what I thought I was doing when I moved (or did whatever I did) to put the documents in Dropbox or the iCloud?

So, are these actually taking up space on the HD or are they not?

I can't figure it out.

Thanks.

I has to with Sync! This is why I always use the Web portal because I saw this back in day about what it was doing this on Mac OScXs machines was the same way! So I deleted the local backup and only had them on cloud on their servers! You should do the same, just be careful it's on Web portal before deleting on your Mac!

I has to with Sync! This is why I always use the Web portal because I saw this back in day about what it was doing this on Mac OScXs machines was the same way! So I deleted the local backup and only had them on cloud on their servers! You should do the same, just be careful it's on Web portal before deleting on your Mac!
Don't have a clue as to what the steps are. I had an issue with the computer awhile back and had to put everything "in the cloud" and thought I'd taken it back down again. Dropbox makes me INSANE, but it's okay if it isn't backing everything up. However, it created a MAC Backup to DROPBOX and that was a nightmare to get off the cloud Dropbox. That's why I am a little perturbed as it showing user/documents/dropbox/ still as a "thing."

So, is it duplicating the folders/files? Or is it counting them as being "on the computer" and they aren't? Or, are they?? !?!?!

PS I actually still have the time machine doing backups. I think (as Apple changed what goes in there as well with Big Sur I think).

"just be careful its on the web portal before deleting" ... yeah, right.... hahahaha. That's one of the major issues. I can never tell exactly where anything is but it seems I have a lot of different "backups" on externals, on the computer, in the cloud, in the vapors, until, of course, I delete something :)

Back