More ram for my G5?

hoarp001

Registered
Ive got a G5 powermac 2.7ghz dual but it only has 512mb ram. My old PC had more than that. I have found on PC world business (and luckily im a member) two 512 kingston kits. Can i put these in with the existing one 512 stick to make a total of 1.5gb or will i have to take the old one out and put the two more in?

Thanks for any help.

You're right in wanting more RAM: IMO 512 isn't enough. Personally, I'd go with at least 2 GB, but if you've already got spare memory, 1.5 is probably enough. Just make sure you're using the right type of RAM: your G5 uses PC3200 (DDR400), if I'm not mistaken. As long as that's what you've got, you should be fine adding more RAM without needing to remove what's already in there. Your G5 has 8 available slots for RAM, 2 of which are already taken up. That leaves 6 available slots for the RAM you're going to put in.

Hi,

The crucial website says that I must install ram as banks of two but I dont quite understand that when you consdier the 512 ram it camed shipped with is just one stick. Can anyone clear this up for me?

The PowerMac G5 can't start up correctly with only one stick of memory. If you look at the slots (there are 8 slots), you will see two separate sticks, or 4, 6, or 8 as you fill up those slots.

The standard shipping configuration for your 2.7 dual, is 512MB - 2 x 256 MB sticks. You may have 1 GB - and with one 512, you have another 512 in its paired slot. If you can read the label of one stick of memory, and it says 512MB, then you should reset the other 512MB stick in its other slot. - There must be a second stick - your G5 won't work without it.
After doing that, check your System Profiler, memory tab, to see what that says about your installed memory, and which slots are in use.

You can add DIMMs, provided they are installed in pairs of equal size, one per bank, from the center outward. A diagram marked on the logic board near the DIMM slots illustrates how the pairs must be installed.

Back