Motion DOESNT WORK!!!

Ptpiz

Registered
I got home happy to find that Motion shipped to my doorstep. I ran happily to my computer, but Motion failed to install. It told me that I didnt have the graphics card it wanted?!??!?! YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIFIC GRAPHICS CARD!

APPLE Really screwed us G4 users on this one... because anyone without a G5 basically cannot run MOTION unless they have the newest graphics card... and it costs $400 to get one! Ahh, what do we do? Why didn't Apple make this more clear!?

Ptpiz said:
I got home happy to find that Motion shipped to my doorstep. I ran happily to my computer, but Motion failed to install. It told me that I didnt have the graphics card it wanted?!??!?! YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIFIC GRAPHICS CARD!

APPLE Really screwed us G4 users on this one... because anyone without a G5 basically cannot run MOTION unless they have the newest graphics card... and it costs $400 to get one! Ahh, what do we do? Why didn't Apple make this more clear!?

I'm sorry to read about your disappointment, but honestly think you should submit this feedback to Apple before posting your rant on a forum ;)

I must mention, though, that I think the system requirements are already pointed out quite clearly both in the technical specifications and the product description page at the Apple store.

One of the first thing I'd do before buying professional software when my hardware isn't the latest and greatest would be checking the system requirements.

Motion is designed for real-time interactivity and I don't think it'd be very usable on a slower graphics card than one of those listed.

Yeah, I guess you are right. It is just that I guess I am still thinking my Dual 1.25 Ghz 2 GB of Ram is top of the line.... it just isnt anymore. Darn... I need a G5 now or something.

Yeah, thats why I am doing. My Powerbook saved me once again! (I say again because the Superdrive in my Powermac G4 just broke... it doesnt read, write, anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?)

As with virtually all Apple software, Motion is designed to sell boxes. Not software boxes, CPU boxes. In fact, I can think of no other app in Apple history that is so specifically designed to move high end G5s.

I also bought Motion, but I knew full well it wasn't going to work on any of my machines. It'll just be a nice bonus when I get a G5 soon-ish, maybe.

Rant alert:
Saw a horrible Motion demo at the Chicago Apple store. The presenter (Richard Harrington I think) was bloody awful. Out of one hour, the first ten minutes were burned just starting late for no apparent reason. The next ten minutes were burned talking about himself and polling the audience to see who used FCP, After Effects, etc. Here's a clue, nobody gives a crap. Just show us the freaking demo. Frankly, I learned WAY more just viewing the videos on Apple's site. The only reason I went was to get my name in the drawing for a G5. If I don't win (ha ha), I'd call it a total bust.

Here's another tidbit of advice. Apple isn't kidding when they talk about recommending 4 gig ram, a monster video card and a dual G5. The demo was on a dual 2 GHZ with I think 1 GIG RAM, but crippled by a 32 MB video card. Don't ask me why they couldn't have thrown in a better card for the demo. Anyway, Motion pretty much blows using those specs since the video card boittle-necks it. I got the impression that Motion simply expects the absolute top of the line machine to even begin delivering on its Real Time promise consistently. Note I said consistently. For some things, lesser machines will pull it off, but in general expect to hit a render [or slow frame rate] wall quickly in many cases.

But then, this is 1.0. And without a full implementation of CoreVideo. And machines only get better. Motion in a few years will be insane. For now, it's just wicked cool.

I ordered it along with a new dual 2.0 G5 w/1gb of ram and I upgraded the card to the ATI 9800 w/256mb on it. This seems like it might be a great setup for the time being and Motion should (hopefully) work well with this configuration. Who knows.... we'll see friday when the machine is expected to arrive here at my desk.... :D

Back