Mounting a CF Card in Finder, not iPhoto

HK Guy

Registered
Whenever I connect a USB card reader with Compact Flash card to my iMac, the card automatically mounts in iPhoto, not in Finder. This is a pain because iPhoto does not allow selective imports of pictures, and this also prevents me from using the card as a regular external HDD.

On my Powerbook, which does not have iPhoto installed, the card mounts in Finder by default.

Have checked all preferences, but nothing seems to have this as an option.

Any ideas?

[20" iMac G5 2.1 GHz, 10.4.5, 15" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz, 10.4.5]

In the System Preferences, under "CDs & DVDs", change "When you insert a picture CD:" to "Ignore".

After that, the CF card should mount as a removable hard drive in the Finder.

Hey, thanks.... will try when I get back to the desktop.

So OS X can tell the difference between a USB pendrive and a CF/SD card, but not between a card and a CD? Jeez! Get on it Steve!

er....OK, that kinda works, but the card mounts in both, even if it has no picture files on it. So how does OS X decide that it's a 'picture CD'?

So it gets wierd here. First time after changing the CDs and DVDs setting in System Preferences, the card mounts in Finder. Subsequent times, with System Prefs unchanged, straight back to iPhoto with no mount in Finder. WTF???

Try going to Image Capture (the application), then go to preferences, and choose "No Application" on the menu where it says "When a camera is connected, open:"

Still mounts in iPhoto, not in Finder, but Image Capture sees the card as a

"Mass Storage Device", info window shows:

Device Module /System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/MassStorage.app
Device Type camera
Product ID 25449
Vendor ID 1423
IORegPath IOService:/MacRISC4PE/ht@0,f2000000/AppleMacRiscHT/pci@2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/usb@B,2/AppleUSBEHCI/Mass Storage Device@4b120000
Product Name Mass Storage Device
Remote NO
Volume NO NAME

OK – seem to have cracked this but do not understand why.
Default volume name of the CF card was 'NO NAME". Changed the volume name when mounted in the Powerbook Finder to "CF Card #1" , changed the iMac System Preferences for CD/DVD back to "Launch iPhoto when a Picture CD is inserted" then connected the card to the iMac. Oddly, the card mounted in Finder wih the new volume name, but not in iPhoto.
Changed the name again in the iMac Finder to "Nikon D70S", ejected, then reinserted. Now the card mounted in both Finder and iPhoto! Wierd or what?
Can only conclude that iPhoto can recognise common camera names in volume names together with a default of "NO NAME" (is the same for all SanDisk cards?).
Any comments from Forum browsers welcome.....

I use several different makes of SD card in my TomTom satnav. When connected by USB the TomTom GO turns into a card reader. IPhoto has never opened. But each card was initially called "NO NAME" until I changed it.

I have used the same cards in a card reader and they have worked exactly the same - no opening of iPhoto. I have also used cards from cameras in the card reader and iPhoto opens straightaway! No idea what triggers iPhoto, a known camera directory stamp? Or just the presence of a jpeg file?

Back