MouseWorks Issue

Claruz

Dogcow
Hello

I have searched the web for the last couple of days to find if anyone else is having the same problems I am having with MouseWorks. I am using a Kensington Orbit Elite USB trackball with my PowerBook G4. The problem I'm having is that the mouse-clicks are delayed, and sometimes missed completely. I know this is a MouseWorks issue because I have tried uninstalling it and installing USBOverdrive instead. There was no delay then.

If you have a Kensington mouse/trackball, preferably the Orbit Elite, and are running MouseWorks 2.4 on panther, maybe you could do me a favour. I have contacted Kensington with my specific setup etc. But if more people are having this problem they might be able to find it easier. You can simply test if you are having this problem by going to finder, and clearing the desktop of windows. Then try marking on the desktop, but click while you are moving the cursor. Then you can see if the marking starts from where you clicked, or as in my case halfway down the screen from where I clicked.

I should test this with no driver installed, see if Apple's default USB driver is at fault in any way. Any help would be appreceated.

Ok, Apple's driver is clean, no delays here either. So I have resorted to running Apple's driver and MouseZoom. It's not as accurate and I have no button settings, but it'll have to do for now.

I have the latest version of MouseWorks, yes. Version 2.4r1.

About USBOverdrive. Firstly it is shareware, I shouldn't have to pay for a driver. But more importantly as I said the original post, it isn't accurate. When using USBOverdrive even after tweaking the settings I get a mouse that is very jumpy and inaccurate.

Claruz said:
I have the latest version of MouseWorks, yes. Version 2.4r1.

About USBOverdrive. Firstly it is shareware, I shouldn't have to pay for a driver. But more importantly as I said the original post, it isn't accurate. When using USBOverdrive even after tweaking the settings I get a mouse that is very jumpy and inaccurate.

I re-read your first post, in which you stated that the problem of delayed mouse clicks was gone with USB Overdrive, no mention there of an inaccurate click (your description leaves a lot of room for interpretation)

USB OverDrive is shareware, and works 100% without paying for it. If it works better for you than some crap that the Mouseworks gives you, why not pay for it, and get rid of the Annoying Shareware Reminder? Plus, you're not limited, with USB OD, to MouseWorks limitations on button assignment.

I'm sorry I was unclear, I had just written a rather lengthy e-mail to Kensington's support, and I was just curious if anyone else had the same problem. I'll clarify. The USB OverDrive driver doesn't negatively affect the clicking behaviour, it even fixes the issue I am talking about. But what I was trying to say is that the cursor movement is very jerky and jumpy. The button allocations appeared to be on par with MouseWorks, which except for this issue is a great piece of software. Therefore I choose to use Apple's default driver for now, as it provides almost as smooth and nice cursor movement as MouseWorks.

Thanks for your input.

Back