.mov to CD

turn2

Registered
I have 2 questions:

1. Is it true that Apple, the great digital hub folks, make it true that I have to buy some lame 3rd-party software to burn a collection of .mov and .mpg files to CD? (OR heist the neighbors Dell?)

2. What is the best file format to use for circulating movie files among Mac AND PC users? (i.e. .mov, .mpg, .avi or other) (If you say .mpg, how do you convert .mov files to .mpg?)

Of course not, if you have Mac OS X (I don't remember how it works in Classic) just put in a CD-R and it'll mount on your desktop, drag the files into the CD-R icon, and eject (burn).

I use MOV myself, have a look at apple.com/trailers it's what they use for all the movie trailers, great quality, small file size, and the Apple QuickTime Movie (mov) plugin's available for Windows.

That may work for you, but I see no way to make it work. If I use Disk Copy and navigate to the folder I want to burn, the burn button does not come on. My external burner does not show up on the desk top.

Yes, the burner is plugged in.

When I insert a disk I am asked what I want to do with the blank CD. When I choose "Open Disk Copy" I can navigate to the folder I want to burn. nothing hapens and I end up having to hit "Cancel".

I have never had this (Iomega) burner show up on the Desktop. Only the disk will after an iTunes burn.

I have an Iomega 40 12 48 CD/RW. iTunes had no problem with and it works just fine with Toast Titanium, but I can't get disk copy to work at all. The Iomega software doesn't work with OS X but OS X will recognize the hardware just fine.

Okay, I finally figured it out. For my set-up here's how it worked:
When I insert a blank CD-R an "untitled CD" icon does appear on the desktop. A prompt also appears asking to name the CD and take an action. DO NOT choose "Open Disk Copy", instead choose "Open Finder". Then you can drag the files you want to burn onto the CD icon. After a minute or two the copy process is complete. At this point I can (right-click for me) on the CD icon and choose "burn". At this point the CD icon disappears and the "burn" progress bar appears. When the burn is complete the CD icon reappears on the desktop.

That's how it works with my set-up and Iomega Zip650 burner. Most of my users appear to be okay with .mpg & .mov files. A converter for (.mpg to .mov) &/or (.mov to .mpg) could be handy though. Or even a good .mpg editor.

Yeah, that confused me too. In order for CD-Rs to show up on the desktop, the Sys. Prefs. CDs settings need to be 'Open Finder' for CD-Rs.

Otherwise, it just sits there looking dumb.

Doug

Wait a minute. Is there a way to use the Finder to burn the CD in a format compatable with PC's?

I burned my first CD the other day (In fact, I just burned one fikle to it. A 500+ MB .Mov file) but it's in Mac HFS+ Format. I didn't see any option to burn a DOS compatable version. At least not from the Finder.

Don't you have to pluunk down $100 and buy Toast or something to burn CD's for Windows.

Looking back, I wish I had had the option to burn it in a format that would work on Windows.. Just for compatability's sake.

Yes, CD's burned with the Finder are compatible with PCs. No extra software needed.

The reason you can't burn a folder in Disk Copy is because that's not what Disk Copy is for. Disk Copy is for making Disk Images from CDs or other volumes and burning/copying said images back to CDs or other volumes.

Back