Move OSX Snow leaopard from macbook to imac

gastrocnemius

Registered
Hi.

Time to upgrade to the icloud from mobile me.

I have 10.5 on my imac and 10.6 on my mac book

I have bought a copy of 10.7 Lion on DVD (from applestore) *

I want to install Lion on my imac, but find I can't do this unless I install snow leopard first.

So It would be really useful to be able to use the copy of snow leopard on my mac book and install this on the imac.

1. is this possible

2. is this legal ?

I only want to use Snow Leopard for the few hours or so it takes to install Lion

I have firewire, carbon copy cloner and two 1Gb hard drives to play with - just cant figure out the procedure I should follow.

Thanks in advance

** please dont anyone tell me to drive to the apple store and buy Snow Leopard. Not everyone has an apple store on the corner. :)

You do not need to buy Snow Leopard, Apple will send a free copy to any Mobile Me user, just for the asking.
But I know, you're probably the same as most of us, "in a big hurry" and would like something to happen quicker. :)

Ah, but it would be good to know what you DO have...
You can't buy OS X 10.7 (Lion) on DVD - Apple does not offer that choice. The only alternate for Lion that is not a download, is the Lion thumb drive, which is a ripoff, IMHO.
The last OS X version on DVD is 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Which do you have now?
And, maybe more important, which iMac do you have (the one with 10.5)?

Ah, but it would be good to know what you DO have...
You can't buy OS X 10.7 (Lion) on DVD - Apple does not offer that choice.

Apple Store burnt Lion on to DVD for me after I complained that I had been charged for the download from App Store, but wasn't able to complete the download. Apparently a regular complaint

They charged me for this (about US$12) - so that's how I got Lion on DVD.

We do things like this in Africa.

But, given my iMac 'only' has Leopard, this doesn't help me - hence the question in the OP.

My iMac is 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.5.8

Thanks,

Steve

So, back to the OP...

Moving snow leopard from the macbook to the imac, in order to install Lion.

Is this worth trying ? Or is it impossible.

Back