Moving default Applications breaks auto-run links

tenjin

Registered
Hi,

Macbook Pro, 10.5.2

I have installed a lot of software. Consequently the Applications folder is getting quite busy. I created some sub-folders and moved the applications around.

Nice tidy Applications folder, but now some things don't work.

Some of the links in the Dock handled the move no problem, others stopped working (e.g. iTunes).

More frustratingly Dictionary and Intego Virus Barrier won't run at all unless they are in the root of the Applications folder. E.g. clicking CTRL-COMMAND-D won't bring up the Dictionary, nor will CONTEXT MENU->LOOK UP IN DICTIONARY, unless the Dictionary.app application is in the root of the Applications folder.

Is there anyway to force Leopard to revise the links to these programs when I have moved them to a new folder?

Cheers

D.

That is because you created shortcuts (the Dock) to a particular place to find the program. If you change the location you have to create a new shortcut. This is how BSD Unix (OS X base) works.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand the link point, but don't understand why some of the links were automatically updated, but some weren't.

For example, I have CyberDuck (FTP client) installed. I dragged the CyberDuck icon to the Dock, and it works fine. If I then move CyberDuck from the root of the Applications folder to a sub-folder the link from the Dock still works, and when you click "show in finder" you can see that the Dock link has been updated to point to the new location.

I know I can just remake the Dock links, but do you know how to force Leopard to remake the right-click contextual links to Dictionary etc? Can I do that manually? Also, is there a way to remake links in the status bar at the top of the Leopard window?

Cheers

D.

Back