Moving prefs from 10.1 -> 10.2?

Zero

Mentos! The Freshmaker!
Hi all,

A number of users I have on campus are going to be upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2, and I was wondering: can I import OS-level preferences from 10.1 to 10.2 and not have problems? I was looking at specifically copying things like Dock and Finder prefs. I imagine I won't have a problem with non-OS apps like Office, Classic app prefs, et al.

TIA,

Zero

If you're doing a wipe of the drive, then install a fresh 10.2, then the user folder should be backed up. When that is restored to the new system, then your prefs for that user should be as before. If there's not a complette wipe, and as long as the User folder is left untouched (which is usually the case on a simple upgrade) you shouldn't see any difference in the appearance settings, etc of the system. There might be some settings reset to defaults, in that case, just changing to your liking. is all that's needed.

I'm actually going to be making a full backup of the users' drives using Carbon Copy Cloner, since policy at where I work encourages making a bootable backup whenever possible prior to starting work on the computer itself, so I'll have all the data archived somewhere when I do the actual upgrade.

With the upgrade process, I'm actually planning on doing a complete wipe and load, and installing either 10.2 or (more realistically) 10.3, so if I the 10.1/10.2 preferences for things like the Dock and Finder imported without a hitch, that would be awesome for me; less work to do! :D

Thanks for the info Delta! :)

Back