moving temp files?

boertje

Registered
Hey there!
I just wondered if you could help me out with this problem.
Unfortunately I partitioned my HD the wrong way so I have about 300-400 MB free (even after moving the swap-files). So when I want to burn a CD with the built-in burning support I won´t be able to fill the CD since it puts the temp-files on the system-drive. Is there any way to move these temp-files on another partition? Anyway what else can I move to free space on my systemdrive or best:
Is there an easy way to reinstall my OSX without loosing all my settings? Since I don´t think there are tools to merge partitions on a macintoshdrive are there?

That's about what I supposed :(
Well, maybe 3 Partitions makes sense:
-1 partition in the beginning for the swap-files
-1 partition with OSX on (and all the rest of course)
-1 partition with classic on
maybe a forth for your archives... but that doesn´t really make sense since everythings built up for having your archived files in your user dir and it´s a hell of a lot of work to make your system accept they are somewhere differnent (probably never really works out).
But this three partition-system is a good compromise when you think about fragmentation. Unfortunately Apple stayed with HFS+ which does fragment a lot and has this stupid limitation to 31 chars :(

something that works well for me (Some people might have problems) 30GB HD - 2 Partitions, 1 10 GB OS 9.2.1, other 20 GB for OSX. Had this since OSX PB I have about 7 GB free on the small partition, So I can copy all of OSX to small partition, erase large partition, copy MY files back (not system or library folders), then reinstall OSX to the large partition without formatting first. Don't have 10.1 full install, so goes through 10.0, update to 10.1, then all other updates. Done this a number of times. It's getting to be a big hassle, 10.1.1 makes that whole multi install necessary. BUT, fresh install is a system that works, System boot about 20 percent quicker (for me) Most apps start noticeably faster. Bottom line, I use partitions not for organization, but ease of file transfers, installs.:D

just to clear something up, HFS+ does not have a 31 character filename limit. I believe the limit is 256 characters.

OS 9 had a limited of 31 characters, but this was a limit imposed by the OS, not the filesystem.

I guess you still have the same limitation when you´re using classic, which I need to...and via apple-talk: whenever I try to rename files on my server (win2k-ntfs) it gives me this 31-char Alert. I you know anyway around it it´d be great.

Back