Mozilla 0.9.9

I don't have any problems with Mozilla. I think it's a great browser, in fact I would use it if it weren't for one thing: How it looks. Look at this pic of the two side-by-side and tell me that Mozilla looks just as natural as IE.

http://homepage.mac.com/themacko/browsers.jpg

That's why everyone's so excited about Chimera, because they like mozilla but they think it's butt-ugly.

Um, turn on the "Modern" theme. :)

I made the switch from IE to Mozilla. Mozilla has given me such a great experience now that they have that Java plugin that enables java. And with that xubar thing you can tell sites that you're using any browser. For example, station.com recently started supporting Mac OS X/9 but only in IE! Ew! Since it's all java which makes it universal, I just told mozilla to tell it that it was Windows 98 IE 5 and everything worked perfect. A lot of site owners haven't kept up with standards and other browsers so they automatically think they're bad and try to block them. But the fact is most sites will load fine if it wasn't for browser checking.

Originally posted by dricci
Um, turn on the "Modern" theme. :)

I was referring to marmoset when he said Mozzila was "No uglier than IE (using the Classic theme), IMO, and visibly improving steadily."

Originally posted by themacko

I was referring to marmoset when he said Mozzila was "No uglier than IE (using the Classic theme), IMO, and visibly improving steadily."

Well, the throbber is certainly ugly as sin, I'll
grant that... I probably overstated. Another nice Mozilla theme based on the nsItheme (semi-native appearance) stuff is Kevin Gerich's Pinstripe, available here:

http://homepage.mac.com/kgerich/pinstripe.html

Thanks! Pinstripe looks much better than both Modern and Classic for Mozilla.

SimX - I really like OmniWeb too, but I have two problems with it.

First, it's rendering engine isn't standards compliant. It's still very much a work in progress. Mozilla, while definitely still a work in progress in areas like application responsiveness and general bug fixes, at least has a standards compliant rendering engine that is fast. OmniWeb has quite a bit of work to do to get it's rendering engine up to the standards of the Gecko rendering engine.

Second, the fact that OmniWeb doesn't use the Netscape standard for plugins is a problem as well. It means that I can use the Flash 6 plugin with OmniWeb, and have to wait for the OmniGroup to specifically code a OmniWeb plugin to give me Flash 6 functionality.

I like OmniWeb. I support OmniWeb. I definitely want OmniWeb to succeed, but with Mozilla coming in to it's own, and Chimera (or Navigator) staking out OmniWeb's Cocoa territory, the OmniGroup has got some serious competition now.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
First, it's rendering engine isn't standards compliant. It's still very much a work in progress. Mozilla, while definitely still a work in progress in areas like application responsiveness and general bug fixes, at least has a standards compliant rendering engine that is fast. OmniWeb has quite a bit of work to do to get it's rendering engine up to the standards of the Gecko rendering engine.

For me, all I care about is websites looking good. And OmniWeb does that for all the sites that I've gone too, no matter if it is standards compliant or not. Fine, it doesn't have full CSS support, but all it does is make a few borders not draw on the screen or something. I haven't seen any site that looks better in any browser other than Omniweb -- and if I've missed some sites that DO render horribly in OmniWeb, well, then I don't particularly care because I don't go to them.

Second, the fact that OmniWeb doesn't use the Netscape standard for plugins is a problem as well. It means that I can use the Flash 6 plugin with OmniWeb, and have to wait for the OmniGroup to specifically code a OmniWeb plugin to give me Flash 6 functionality.

I assume you meant to say "t means that I can't use the Flash 6 plugin with OmniWeb". In any case, you'd be wrong. The Flash 6 plugin works perfectly with OmniWeb. When I had OmniWeb set as my default browser, the installer even opened OmniWeb and displayed the "installation successful" page perfectly without any errors. The Flash 6 plugin works fine.

I like OmniWeb. I support OmniWeb. I definitely want OmniWeb to succeed, but with Mozilla coming in to it's own, and Chimera (or Navigator) staking out OmniWeb's Cocoa territory, the OmniGroup has got some serious competition now.

Like I said, Mozilla is butt-ugly. 'nuf said. As for Chimera, it's functionality is not up to par with OmniWeb or Mozilla yet. When it is, I'll probably be switching. I realize that Chimera has GREAT potential. But that's like saying that the Mac OS X public beta has potential -- that's it. It's not usable for normal browsing (at least for me), and that's why I'm not changing browsers yet.

simx, can we all just talk about browsers we like without argueing about it. If you want to argue it don't bring it into a thread where we are enjoying mozilla :)...

I just installed pinstripe... it looks much better, but not as good as chimera will. I saw a screenshot of it before, but I didn't know it had been released.

Mozilla with the Pinstripe skin is a decent looking browser. Not quite as beautiful as OmniWeb, but better looking than iCab and Opera, and almost as Aqua-ish as IE.

My major beefs with OmniWeb are it's lack of support for standards. 90% of the websites I visit it handles fine. But it can't handle my online banking at all (Wachovia), and other sites like Foxsports.com gives it fits as well. Not to mention shockwave.com and Flash intensive sites. It's Flash support keeps getting better, but it's still not at 100%.

And probably my main beef with OmniWeb is it's instability. While each SP build achieves more stability, for me, the application is very crash prone. I rarely can go 10 minutes without it crashing. That is the one issue that finally drove me over to Mozilla full time. Mozilla is uglier, it's application responsiveness is slowner than OmniWeb, but it renders pages correctly and faster than any other browser out there, and it is rock solid - definitely the most stable of all OS X browsers.

OmniWeb definitely has a place in the crowded OS X browser field right now. My concern is that in 6 months, when Chimera (Navigator) gets up to speed, what will OmniWeb have to offer that other browsers can't?

Originally posted by googolplex
simx, can we all just talk about browsers we like without argueing about it. If you want to argue it don't bring it into a thread where we are enjoying mozilla :)...

I'm not arguing about browsers. I'm just trying to clear up a few misconceptions, like the one that OmniWeb cannot handle the Flash 6 plugin. And I was asking if Mozilla had all the features I want (which it seems to, except for the non-ugliness). I'm just trying to get a heads up as to whether I will be switching browsers anytime soon or not. :p

serpicolugnut: OmniWeb doesn't crash every 10 minutes for me. That's strange. Although it does really piss me off that it crashes on quit, so I am kind of getting a little fed up with OmniWeb. :p

SimX - Are you sure you have OmniWeb 4.1sp recognizing Flash 6 plugin? I have it installed, and it doesn't work with in OW. It works fine within IE and NS/Moz, but not OW. OW's Flash5 plugin works OK, but not Flash 6.

Mozilla's TABBED-BROWSING is the bomb! Man, this is too cool. And oh oh oh, the preferences offer so much customization for cruising the web, not allowing this and that, selectively allowing this or that. Can't wait for the release of 1.0.

serpi: Yes, I just installed OmniWeb 4.1sp63 on my mom's iBook, and then the latest Flash 6 plugin. It worked perfectly – after the installation, OmniWeb launched and displayed the "Installation Complete" page and the Flash interactive movie played perfectly.

When I try to get the plugin via Macromedia's site using OW, it doesn't know which platform I'm using so it tries to steer me to the Classic plugin. When I try to manually download the OS X plugin, it says it doesn't recognize my system.

I already have the plugin installed for both IE/NS. Where does the plugin need to be for OW to recognize it?

The plugin installer, when installed to the default location, allows OmniWeb to recognize it. I believe this location is /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/, because that's where my plugin seems to be installed. I'll bet you could also install it to ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and OmniWeb would still recognize it.

Just get the plugin from versiontracker.com... if you get it from Macromedia's site, you should probably set OmniWeb to identify itself as Internet Explorer 5.1.3 for Mac OS X. You can specify that in the "Compatibility" pane of the preferences.

I'll install it when I get home to my ibook, I dont know what he would have changed visualy, as he didn't really say. I'll check it out anyways.

FREAK! I just tried to install the updated theme (I was already using the old pinstripe) and now I'm stuck with the Modern theme. It won't go back to pinstripe. BAH!!

*It works now, after I reinstalled Mozilla* :rolleyes:

Back