Mozilla is My New Default Browser

sim, you seem to be very open to other browsers now. before you seemed to be bashing their incompleteness alot...

Yeah, OmniWeb and Chimera definitely have the most potential. But I have a feeling I will still be using OmniWeb. By the time Chimera becomes usable, OmniWeb 4.1 final will probably be out, and then OW is truly going to RULE! :)

Originally posted by googolplex
sim, you seem to be very open to other browsers now. before you seemed to be bashing their incompleteness alot...

I have always been open to other browsers. Why do you think I switched to OmniWeb from IE? :D

Maybe I'm just showing it a little more. I guess I've become a little more educated on Mozilla (it seems to have most of the nice features I want even if it isn't as well integrated as OmniWeb) and Chimera (still basically unusable at this point).

However, the beauty of a program is something that is actually pretty high on my list of criteria (being second only to overall usability and productivity), and Mozilla just doesn't cut it. Come to think of it, nothing cuts it except for OmniWeb at this point (Chimera doesn't have Quartz rendering yet). It seems to me that a lot of programmers don't understand that the actual physical appearance of a program is VERY important -- I often turn away at programs just because of the horridness of the placement of things in their UI. Mac OS X has been a lifesaver in this respect, ESPECIALLY with Cocoa apps, because they're just SO darn intuitive and SO darn beautiful.

I always check out the alternatives, but when I see something that's not beautiful, I often turn away from it and only use it once a lot of people recommend it to me. And Mozilla seems to be highly recommended, so I'm giving it another shot (it's second only to OmniWeb in the "Best Browser" thread). Chimera seems to come highly recommended as well, so I'll give it another shot, too, once 0.2 comes out.

I still maintain that OmniWeb is the greatest web browser yet, though. :)

I try from time to time to use OmniWeb as my main browser, but always fall back to IE. OW is just too unstable for me. First, I get javascript problems very often. Second, it just can't take heavy use. I find that when I use it heavily, like using a lot of forms searching for jobs, it will freeze for a second then just blow up. I always send the crash report to them, but especially when I am searching for work, I find I can't trust it. Granted I am using the sneaky peeks, so I will reserve judgement until 4.1 final is released.

IE pisses me off simply because it is incomplete. Missing so much. WTF?

I don't like anti-aliased fonts in a web page. One big reason being that most sites weren't designed with that in mind, so they look bad. I use Mozilla with Pinstripe. I'd rather have a nice standards based browser that shows me the internet how most people designed it to look than something that enlarges the fonts and throws everything out of place. Sure, the pinstripe theme has some work to go still before it's fully aqua, but it does what I need and it does it well.

BTW, doesn't OmniWeb cost money?

You can register OmniWeb, but they don't annoy you under regular browsing. When left idle for a while, the browser will say diagonally across it "UNREGISTERED", but disappear when focus is returned to the browser. And rarely there is a message on start-up.

Originally posted by dricci
I don't like anti-aliased fonts in a web page. One big reason being that most sites weren't designed with that in mind, so they look bad.

I haven't found ANY site that looks worse under OmniWeb than under any other broswer. In fact, OmniWeb always makes websites look better, unless there is some standard that OW doesn't support in that particular webpage.

For example, look at my webpage, http://homepage.mac.com/simx/ , or my personal webpage, http://homepage.mac.com/simx/personal/ . Tell me that that site looks better under Mozilla than under OmniWeb. It simply doesn't.

In fact, OmniWeb even makes horrid websites look tolerable.

I just don't get where you're coming from with this quote.

I think whole this thread was started by Admin as a hint that we should capitalize every first letter in the words in a topic, so the forums look cleaner and more professional :rolleyes: :p :D

ksv is right guys :D

Also anti-aliasing looks way better on a webpage. Thats why I'm using omniweb right now. Chimera will have it in 0.2 and I think it is suppose to come in mozilla by 1.1.

Well I tried to use Chimera. Downloaded it, installed it (what little there was of that (man I love installations on OS X -- nothing like the bazillion files in Windows! :D )), even tried to use it. Chimera blew up when I tried to open the sidebar. It was pretty reliable that it would blow up. At one point I even restarted so make sure that there wasn't some strange issue going on. It's kind of like the development team wanted a "crash this app" button.

I finally figured out that if I make it so that the window doesn't have to be re-sized for the sidebar to show, it won't crash. But by that time I was finished. I couldn't open any htm or html files on my computer, either. Which means that all of my bookmarks were unavailable to me from within Chimera, unless I wanted to manually enter them. :p

It seemed a lot like any other browser that I have tried, with the crashing exception noted above. I have Mozilla scheduled for download in iGetter, but 16MB is a lot to download over dial-up, so it has to wait until I don't want to use the net any more for a while.

On the Windows side of the world, I really enjoyed Opera. It wasn't perfect, but pretty close in my eyes. So I tried that for OS X. They say it's in beta stage, but really it's Alpha software. Crashy, buggy, missing lots of functionality, blech.

So for now it's OmniWeb -- IE if I have to. Thankfully, most of the time I don't have to.

It seems to me, half of the threads in the OS X General Discussion forum are about browers. We have browser wars, browser flame contests, my browser is better than your browser, Chimera 0wnz j00 threads. I think we need a whole forum devoted to just browsers :rolleyes:

Not that I mind or anything. Or how about we just have The Browser Thread :D

You know, I tried using Mozilla exclusively for 2 weeks. I made it, but today I switched back to IE. Mozilla just seems clumsy compaired to IE, not to mention I can't view Windows Media files nor can I use mail.app with email links.

Hopefully, Chimera will continue to progress into a browser I can FINALLY switch to for good.

You realize that you're just making another thread to bog down the General Discussion Forum?

And that annoying idiots like me hate being told what to do so they'll post in the old browser threads?

Oh, yeah:

ABSOLUTELY NO BROWSER FORUM! :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe I should do what admin did.. I'll publicly hang everybody who suggests a browser forum. :p

Watch out, people, I'm getting angrier by the minute. ;)

simx, I created a browsers thread because I'm tiered of saying the same stuff over and over again. I was joking about a browsers forum. If you don't want to reply in the browsers thread, fine.

goog: Maybe I didn't make myself clear... I guess I should have used a font that looks like it has something dripping from it... oozing across the floor... something that rhymes with "marcasm"....

:p

If you don't get it by now then it's your fault you slipped on it. :p :D ;)

Back