MP3 player with largest SD card capacity

nuubie

Registered
I've been assembling a want list for features wanted in a MP3 player. Unfortunately Apple comes up near the bottom offering almost nothing that I need. So I'm looking farther afield. Just to get this out of the way, some of the reasons Apple doesn't make the grade - what I'm looking for in a player:
---------
Copy/Paste playing ability with no program muddling my file structure - I want to see my folder/file structure on my MP3 Player exactly as it appears in my folder structure in Finder. That's how all my files are organized so it must be mirrored on the portable device. Everything flows from the Finder. I'm not into "flat land" file type retrieval. That's for people who can't organized their files. Not for me. Also not having to use iTunes means anybody can load music on my player and I can dump my music to anybody anywhere anytime. Impossible now with iTunes/iPod "lock" syncing system.

Recording capability (voice, FM, line) without adding accessories.

Plays lossless (OGG/FLAC) without having to waste time converting.

Charges with a USB plug not some silly proprietary plug. This way, wherever I am, there will be someone close by with charging ability because everybody uses USB.

The ability to erase a file. That way I can load up a pile of music I haven't heard yet and delete files on the fly that I don't like. "Syncing" wastes time. As soon as I don't like it, I want it gone. Then when I get back I just copy and paste all the files that are left back to the computer.

Storage: SD cards because they are so cheap. What I'm really looking for is a small player (don't need video but the bigger the screen the better for navigation and long file names) that has no internal memory (it wastes space if you have 2 storage mediums - why have internal memory if you're already going to store in a micro SD card?). With micro SD cards I can carry immense amounts of files around that weigh next to nothing. SD cards are so cheap. Recently I saw 8gb cards going for 15 bucks. (If you see disadvantages to SD cards, please let me know.)
----------
So if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I'm wondering if any MP3 players take SD cards but are limited in their size? They have 32gb cards out now (kind of expensive so 8 and 16gb are more popular) but soon they will plummet in price as they always do. It would be a shame to get a player only to find out later its limited by card size.

Recording unamplified music live is an intriguing option as there is no motor noise with these devices. If you know of any models that can record at CD quality, please let me know. That would be very exciting. Combined with battery powered quality mics the results might be quite surprising. Many years ago I used to be into high end audio and experimented recording piano directly on to a VHS-Hifi VCR that happened to have mic inputs. The dynamic range and clarity upon playback floored me. It was a revelation. And I was using lousy mics!

Sounds like what you really want is a UMPC or a NetBook, really. ;)

I'm not into "flat land" file type retrieval. That's for people who can't organized their files
That's a pretty bad generalization. I keep my folder structure of music in the Finder VERY organized, and I manually create and organize the music myself. It's VERY organized. I also use iTunes to manipulate and change data about the music. You could say that I use iTunes and the Finder in tandem.

That style of organization may not be for you (the "iTunes" way), but it's silly and presumptuous to go out on a limb and say that using that style of organization means that one is incapable of manual organization. No need to potentially insult the intelligence or organizational ability of those people here who likely are trying to help you.

You know, we could turn that around and say that there's got to be something gravely wrong with the brain of someone who has such severe problems using a device so simple as an iPod. ;)

Jus' keepin' it real, brotha!

You see what I don't understand is if folders and sub folders work with file organization with every operating system, why not let the same system be used for iTunes' files? In iTunes one can use folders and subfolders but my iPod Nano ignores that orgnaization. Also if I want to copy a folder with nested subfolders (with all my music meticulously organized) from the Finder over to iTunes all that organization is destroyed once its in iTunes. Why iTunes can't keep that organization intact is beyond logic.

Why iTunes can't keep that organization intact is beyond logic.
"Logic" in this case is subjective. Far more people like the organization of iTunes than dislike it. Why iTunes does it the way it does isn't beyond their logic.

It's perfectly fine to dislike or disagree with some aspect of software -- everybody's got their gripes -- but there's no reason to call it "beyond logic," because it's not. It's just not in line with your preference. Griping is one thing... exaggerating the severity of it is another. You're obviously meticulous, organized and intelligent, and becoming accustomed to a different way of organization shouldn't be that hard.

Hey, I'm just sayin', "don't knock it before you've tried it," and by "trying it," I mean not fighting it, open-minded usage. ;)

Still, I think you're really looking for a UMPC or NetBook.

Also, there is a "Linux-on-the-iPod" movement that basically replaces the iPod OS on your iPod with a Linux-based environment, offering much more control and "freedom" over many aspects of the software/hardware. This works better with older iPods -- 3rd and 4th generation -- and I don't know if any modern iPod are supported.

http://www.ipodlinux.org/

When you say, "Unfortunately Apple comes up near the bottom offering almost nothing that I need," what players beat Apple, and what players are higher up in your list?

Back