MS Freestyle PC, a sneak peak by HP.

What's so amazing? It's a PC with a firewire port.

It's also the PC world trying to emulate the Digital Hub that Apple originated a few years ago.

Welcome to 1997.

Yeah, that is pretty cool... I wouldn't mind it, but I have my own methods of getting TV shows onto my computer and then burning them onto DVD's... ;)

Originally posted by SSManicDevlin
It's year 2002!

Yea. That's my point. 5 year old inovation and the PC is just recieving it. The digital hub way of computing is a year old on the mac side already.

Yes, if you're wondering it was Apple who invented Firewire. They get a royalty everytime a Firewire product is sold.

I see no innovation there at all. Just another attempt to copy what the Mac's had for years now, but running a shitty OS. Whoop-tee-doo-dah.

Windows XP Media Center
I prefer digital hub. It just just sounds better. And has anyone else noticed the new, pentium, i believe, commercials that seem to be directly targeted at apple. The ones where you see normal people doing movies and sending picutres and all, basically the switch campaign but saying 'stay.'

isn't this mac news and rumors? shouldn't pc news and rumors go on a pc forum?
just curious.

Look, all I hear is "They copied them!" or "This isn't new..."

Quit compaining, guys. If that's all that that PC can do, I think it's going ot flop.

looks to me to be a pc built specifically to be integrated into an entertainment system.. or to be an entertainment system

yes macs have this capability, and so do a lot of pcs, but this is one of the first specifically meant for it... it seems like a generally good idea, so i'm just going to take a wait and see approach

really all this "they copied us!" "no, we didnt" bullshît is getting old, computers are generally computers, pcs get things from apple, apple gets things from pcs, if no one "borrowed" ideas or concepts from each other there would be alot less technilogical evolution than what we've seen.... maybe you guys should just sit back and ENJOY the fact that macs and pcs are getting better and better everyday!

HEY but isisn't this the FREESTYLE...

in which u can take out the monitor from the stand and roam around using it like a a huge palm top ^^ ....... itz kinda cool actually

it works on some wireless network (bla)

NEAT!!!

Originally posted by BuddahBobb

really all this "they copied us!" "no, we didnt" bullshît is getting old,

My point is that there is a PC user comming to the mac forum saying "wee, look guys. We've got a nifty new toy over here" In the process, he's also thinking that it's a completely new idea. I'm pointing out the fact that it isn't as new as he thinks it is. We've known that lifestyle for a while now.

maybe the mods should bring back the windows forum. i haven't been around long but i get tired of reading pc news and rumors. honestly, i came here because im a mac user not a pc user.

This part isn't too cool... From the article...

Reportedly, the PCs will offer some copy-protection capabilities, including "locking" a TV program to a particular PC.

I seriously doubt this system would allow you to burn TV shows/programs to CD-Rs and such... Even if you could, it'd probably force you to watch it on the PC you burned it on... What's the point?

Window's new zealotry in copy protection is only going to hurt itself in the long run. Apple has been much more sensible in regards to DRM so far.

Regardless if we had the windows forum or not, there will always be the guys just like SSManicDevlin. His entire purpose on this board is to get a rise out of everybody.

Personaly, I'm tired of PC users trying to tell me how great their computers are. I already know what they're all about. I used to be diehard PC, now it's flipped 180.
I've had bad experiences with PC's that I don't even want to get into here.

I guess on the plus side... we'd then have somewhere to move threads like this to get them out of our hair! :D

Personaly, I'm tired of mac users trying to tell me how great their computers are. I already know what they're all about. I used to be diehard mac, now it's flipped 180.
I've had bad experiences with macs that I don't even want to get into here.

----

it can infact go both ways, personal experiences isnt really "proof" how bad or good a plat form is... everyone will have preferences, the best thing to do is to not let him get to you, instead of jumping all over it and having a heart attack, because some one is misinformed, try humoring him at least, it causes less stress....

and in all honesty in my experience, the mac os and the windows os are too similar to have bitch fests over all the time... and please dont start with the "windows copied everything mac" ... anyone with a level head can tell you its gone both ways, its called evolution of technology, we would still be stuck with Xerox's original GUI if no one improved on others ideas or incorperated them.

and as far as im concerned this pc user didnt do anything wrong, he gave us a link to something new, and he happens to like the ideas that stem from it... its not like he came in here and called people names or "trolled"

ok, I am a mac guy, and I am not crazy about windows... but the Media Center is a cool product, and it does things in a new way..
( Like it comes with a remote to control the computer - and you can hook the computer to your TV -- and it is a nice little HTPC ( home theater PC .. )
yes you can record TV with it ( Tivo like ) and YES there is no copy protection on it( there was at first, but they have dropped it), so you can burn off what you record if you want..

Go to this link and read up about it..
MAKE SURE you watch ALL the demo.( it takes a while to get into showing you what it can do)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/

And read this link
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXP/expertzone/columns/belfiore/pctv.asp

Back