MS Office rant .....

Zeigan

Registered
Why is it that Microsoft makes crap. I have to use MS Word for my technical writing class. Currently i am making a tri-fold brochure. List of complaints:

1. It changes the font everytime. I wanted to use the font optima. When i select it, everything changes to mathmono5 (mathamatica font). To get optima, i have to select verdana.

2. Picture positioning is crap. It does not go anywhere near where you want it to go.

3. Saving crashes the file. Well, sort of. The save box goes into the background and becomes unavailable. I can see it, i just cant do anything to it. Half of the menu options go gray. This has happened in 3 different installs and two installs of os x. Therefore it is the program.

4. Why do they have to turn on every automatic feature as a standard. The only ones i like are the edit text as you type and one or two others. The rest mess up the orientation of the paper and take longer to fix than it does to type. yeah, i know you can turn it off, but it seems to always turn itself back on.

5. If it werent for my student id, i would of had to spend $500 on crap. Appleworks is so smooth, but the margins get changed in some of the converting files.

6. You spend hours upon hours fixing details that should take minutes.

I am not even about to start on Entourage. Big piece of crap should say it all.

Excel is the only program i dont have any problems with. But then again, i dont use it that much. I feel better now.

Word should not be used as a publishing program. It really is a word processor, and a good one at that, though I'm shamed to admit it. But it isn't designed as a publishing program and really doesn't work for formatting to tri-fold, positioning pictures and margins accurately, or any of the things you want publishing software to do.

I bought Office, at the still ludicrous student price, simply because I was forced to create a project in PowerPoint. I now don't use PowerPoint at all, Entourage never got more than a quick spin to see what it could do, and Word is the only Office app that gets any real use.

In short, they're trying to get you to use the wrong tool for the job. I mean, if you were learning carpentry and the teacher told you to saw through a log with a coping saw, you wouldn't put much faith in the teacher. And yet teachers love to ask us to make DTP documents in word, even though it isn't a DTP program.

i have office, and have never run Entourage for fear that it will hi-jack the system and i will never get the desired functionality back!

The only reason i have office is to be compatible with the rest of the world. And no appleworks cant open word files, well at least any with graphics or any mild form of desigh layout!!

I would personally use one of these programs instead: Adobe Pagemaker, Indesign, Quark Xpress. InDesign is my preference.

If you want to open Word documents in Appleworks, save them as RTF.

Zeigan: you sure have some strange bugs. I've never encountered anything very bad like that for long in Word 98. I wonder if there are any patches available?

You are using Office v. X right?

yeah,word x is the culprit.

I would like to use another program, but my class requires we use MSword so there wont be any incompatibilties with converting the files since it is an internet based class. We just upload everything to the schools servers.

also, student price for me was $6. Cant really complain about being ripped for it. Do they make publisher for the mac?

Originally posted by Zeigan
Why is it that Microsoft makes crap.

Of course all being Mac users, we hate Microsoft.

But for day-to-day word processing and spreadsheet application, MS Office X Suite blows away AppleWorks, which is total crap in my opinion (it's ugly, doesn't convert files properly 90% of the time, and bugs you to save in its native format every time you do anything to a file).

That, is, of course, just my opinion :p

I agree that office is better than most, but it is still crap in my book. I am actually being sacreligious here, but i like windows 2000. Not xp and definitely nothing before hand. I switched in back when 10.1 came out and lost the need for 2000. but im just rambling now...

anyways, word x is bleggh.

Back