MS Outlook mail file conversion

Ubivetz

Registered
I have *.pst file from MS Outlook 2003 and I need to export it to any suitable and freeware mail program on Mac OS X (Intel). I'm currently using mail.app, but I don't know how to deal with *.pst.
I asked my colleague to export this file to CSV, but I tried Mail.app and Thunderbird. None of them support CSV. Thanks.

Microsoft does not provide a mechanism to convert Windows .pst files to anything on the Mac, not even its own POS Entourage 2004. To the best of my knowledge, there is no freeware or shareware utility which does this. There is, however, a $10 third-party utility called O2M which will do the trick.

I've found the solution. The best and money-free one is: import Outlook Mail to Mozilla Thunderbird, then copy imported mail to Mac and open it in Thunderbird :) If you want, you can import Thunderbird mail with Apple Mail.app

Thunderbird on the MAC does not seem to be able to read the files I ported over. To review:
1. Installed thunderbird on windows XP PC.
2. Ran windows thunderbird, imported outlook files and make sure the complete hierarchy of folders was populated. Everything was good.
3. Found the copied the contents of the PC directory <long string of #'s/chars>/* to the MAC. This was a huge amount of stuff! Since I had a hierarchy of folders on the PC I wanted to preserve them on the MAC.
4. Removed the .msf index files from all directories of the newly copied files on the MAC.
5. Put this hierarchy of folders/files under /Users/<userName>Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/iunxm36.default/Mail/Local Folders/. The inunxm36.default was the directory name thunderbird created when I made the first account. I believe that this is the only Profile created right now.
6. Opened up Thunderbird on the MAC and it can see the folders, but will not show me a single mail item in the folders.

Since there are no index files (.msf) I'm guessing that it has to rebuild them again. I selected each folder in Thunderbird and did Edit>Folder Properties->rebuild index, but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions?

Another possible solution:

gmail.com offers a free IMAP-capable mailbox with huge capacity.

Get yourself a gmail account, add it to outlook, copy all your mails over there from outlook, add the gmail account to apple mail and copy the mails to your mac.

You need a fast internet connection, but I think it's the easiest way. And you have your mails on gmail as a backup

I just posted about this elsewhere, so I'll repost here....

The Thunderbird method worked ok, but only for emails that didn't have attachments. Anything with an attachment got garbled, including images (BMP/PCX/JPG), PDFs, and Word docs. Argghh! I know there are other solutions out there for the Mac, but I needed something for my PC (I dont have a Mac at work because my boss is C.H.E.A.P......). I eventually tried 8Convert ($14 at www.eighthoof.com) and it worked--all attachments came over without a hitch. (The program looks similar to Outlook2Mac / O2M that was out a few years ago, but that company appears to be out of business).

Back