Multimedia keyboard

Bluesman

Registered
I bought a new keyboard and mouse today. The mouse works perfectly but the keyboard doesn't. The guy at the store assured me it would work perfectly fine on OSX.

It has a bunch of special function keys for office, the media player etc...

Only the volume buttons work however. I looked on the maker's website, SWEEX. They don't have software for it.

Is there a built in feature or a program or something that will fix this?

I guess you will try not to listen to the 'guy at the store', who is trying to sell you a keyboard, and succeeded! You should find that the keyboard works fine on a Mac, which it should. The extra multimedia keys are really designed for Windows only, and you would need software to give those some function. Some of these Windows keyboards work better than others, and depend on the software provided with the keyboards. Of course, SWEEX does not mention Mac at all on their website.

Um... yea, ok. But is there a way to fix this? I can't imagine there isn't software that can help me bind some keys.

Don't have a solution for you, but I'm curious about one thing: how much did you pay for your keyboard and mouse?

I haven't seen third party software that will configure the extra buttons on a multimedia keyboard. That is usually supplied by the keyboard manufacturer, and usually does not work too well. Your keyboard might work with the Logitech software, as the keyboard looks similar to Logitech. Try this software . You can always remove it if it doesn't work.
Might be worthwhile contacting SWEEX, as the software for these buttons is specialized. They might have a beta that you can use.
Or, more likely, you just made a wrong choice with a PC-only company.

gphillipk said:
Don't have a solution for you, but I'm curious about one thing: how much did you pay for your keyboard and mouse?

mouse= 9 Euro's and it works fine. It lights up blue which is cool.
Keyboard= 13 Euro's

I haven't seen third party software that will configure the extra buttons on a multimedia keyboard. That is usually supplied by the keyboard manufacturer, and usually does not work too well. Your keyboard might work with the Logitech software, as the keyboard looks similar to Logitech. Try this software . You can always remove it if it doesn't work. Might be worthwhile contacting SWEEX, as the software for these buttons is specialized. They might have a beta that you can use. Or, more likely, you just made a wrong choice with a PC-only company.

Thanks, i'm gonna try that.

no, it's likely it was built with different technology. for it to work, they'd have to use the same, licenced innerds.

i got stung with a £40 Epson Printer that never worked properly under macOS. i'm rid of that now thankfully :D

It still sucks. The worst part is that the 'home', 'end', 'page up' and 'page down' buttons don't work properly. One of the reasons i got rid of the Apple keyboard was the lack of them.

I know you were talking about an older keyboard. I was just pointing out other options, and that Apple does not provide those limited keyboards now. The home, etc. keys at least work on the Apple keyboards.

plus, you need the eject button, dont you? take the PC keyboard back, and invest in a proper keyboard, with proper apple and alt keys, usb ports and system volume controls

The Windows key works fine as the apple key, the control and alt keys work fine too. Apple assesoires are way overpriced, that's why i bought a normal keyboard.

plus, you need the eject button, dont you

No, you can put an eject icon on the menu bar.

Open the following folders:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/

and double click the: Eject.menu

Whoo! I got it sorted out. A friend told me about this neat little program called "DoubleCommand"

Download here:
http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

It fixed all my beef with this keyboard. Only the office buttons don't work, but that's ok. The volume buttons, the eject button and the media player control buttons work as well. Sweet!

Back