Multiple Apple IDs

John Varela

Registered
Over the years I have accumulated multiple Apple IDs. It didn't matter because I almost never used one. I did use iDisk but the ID and password were in the keychain so I never saw them.

Now I have updated to 10.8.2 and iCloud and new dependence on the App Store so it looks like I'm going to use my ID and password more often. When I first signed onto iCloud I was given the opportunity to choose a primary ID and other IDs were made secondary. Great.

Then I went to the iTunes Store to download some updates and it wanted me to sign on with yet another ID, this one @mac.com. It will not let me use the other ID that iCloud is using.

Is there some way to kill the mac.com ID or else make it subordinate to the current iCloud ID?

Thanks for the URL.

It says "
Mac: Enter the same Apple ID in Apple () menu > System Preferences > iCloud and in 
iTunes > iTunes Store."

Both of those already say the same thing. It appears that I get the old mac.com ID only when entering via Software Update. I guess I can live with that. I may learn different the first time I go to buy something from iTunes. Right now I have nothing I want to buy.

When you go to Software Update, can you choose Sign Out?
That should reset whatever account is filling the blocks, and allow you to enter the info again, including your proper Apple ID (whichever one you want to use)

That did it. I signed back in with the desired ID. Not only that, but:

I had a pending update that would not install. After signing into iTunes with the same Apple ID as everything else, this update installed. (Next question: if Software Update could identify the fact that this machine needed the update, why would an Apple ID conflict prevent it being installed?)

I don't have the knowledge to explain that.

Maybe it's very similar to the conflict if you show two different IDs (with different names) at a bar - which might prevent you from getting that beer that you so richly deserve.... :D

I'm thinking maybe the simple act of signing out and back in again, whether with the same or a different ID, may have reset whatever was blocking the download.

Back